98 Ford Ranger, compatible engines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Ford Ranger, compatible engines

KRE98

Reaction score
Hey!

Well, here is my situation and I'm open to all suggestions or comments.

I own a 1998 4x4 ford Ranger. I bought it new from the dealer so I have a complete and accurate vehicle history. It has the 4.0 L V6 in it. It's had engine trouble pretty much since I bought it. (I always took it to the dealership I bought it from for repairs) The engine problems have ranged from cracked heads to bad coil pack assemblies (electronic distributor), to busted vacuum hoses. I got sideswiped off of the highway a few months ago and since then the truck has been parked.

I'm sure there is more than one issue with the engine/transmission.
I drove the hell out of it. I constantly drove it on the highway while it had engine trouble, and the accident was pretty bad and I'm sure the insurance company didn't identify all of the problems with it since they didn't total it...

The engine has misfires on multiple cylinders and shimmies pretty bad.
currently it wont go much more than 60 mph.

anyways, I need insight on things I should check or repair.
also, I am considering replacing the engine, I don't know what engines could bolt on to the transmission.

PS. If there is a better part of the forum for this then please move it! (but PM me so I know where it's moved to)

Back