99 brake pedal makes crunching noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 brake pedal makes crunching noise

stevedud

Reaction score
City, State
Lincroft, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
My 99 XLT AWD V8 brake pedal has started to make kind of a crunching noise when I depress it. I opened the hood and it sounds like it's coming from the power brake booster (if that's what you call the big round cake that the brake master cylinder goes into). Brakes still work but I'm worried. Any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the pads as well. I have not personally delt with a noise from the brake booster (and yes your right on your guess), so I can't exactly give you a lot of information. Check anything that deals with the brakes, fluid, pedal, pads, etc. Good luck.

-Drew

Is the noise coming from the actual pedal? There have been instances of the actual pedal pushing through the firewall. Regards,

My pedal makes the same noise, as does my father in law's (01 sport). I've never had any problems related to the brakes from this, and just always figured the pedal needed oil or something. I try to keep the radio volume high enough so that the creaking does not annoy me.

I'd look at the brake booster. They can do that sort of noise.

I have also seen insulation around the pedal arm itself getting dry and starting to make noise when the pedal is pressed...and no amount of oiling would stop the crunching sound.

Back