99 Explorer heater core replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer heater core replacement.

vluke

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
I'm helping my son to replace:exp: his 99 Explorer's heater core. It looks as if we'll have to pull the entire dash to get at the old unit. Any videos or pictures with instructions of the process would be greatly appreciated. vluke

hi i just replaced mine but mines an 92 but if it is the same as mine its just under the dash on the passanger side and it has a plastic panel that needs to be unscrewed and it pulls down and then you will see the heater core radiater looking the only thing you have to remove to see the plastic panel is the carpet under the glove box like i said mine may be diffrent if so i apologize but ill go on just in case there the same once removing the panel and exposing the heater core you pop the hood there will be 2 hoses running through the firewal on the passanger side up towards the top by the hood easy to see remove them and then the heater core just slides out and pulls down and out took me about 20 min to replace whole thing then the new one just slides up and in to the holes where the hoses are and you reconnect the hoses and your good to go it will take it a little while for the heater to work because the heater core will have to fill with the water from the radiater and get hot only takes about 10 min about maybe less....let me know if this helps you and i apologize if yours is diffrent then mine just trying to help if its the same.

Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris, but the 2nd Gen Explorer heater core replacement is very different. Apparently, Ford fired the original Engineer who designed your 1st Gen and built the car around the heater core. You would have expected them to leave a very good idea alone rather than bury a part that will eventually fail. The fix requires the entire dash to be pulled from the car! That's over 7 hours labor according to Ford. Thanks again for your post. vluke

Back