• Register Today It's free!

A/C pressure switches.

olddaddy75

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsville, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer sport
I have a 98 explorer sport. Do the AC pressure valves have the safety valves? I want to replace one or both valves. Do I have to drain the system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. Both the high and low pressure cut-off switches. Some later models have shroeder type valves behind them so they can be changed without bleeding of all the coolant. Does the 98 explorer sport have these?

98 sport you can change the high pressure port but the low pressure port valve I could not replace, the core removal tool i have does not fit the core that is in there and I destroyed it trying to remove, also replacment valves from parts store do not fit the stock fitting.....i had to replace the entire dryer/accumulator it was $50
The new dryer included a valve core that CAN be replaced, matches the valve cores available at the parts stores

98 sport you can change the high pressure port but the low pressure port valve I could not replace, the core removal tool i have does not fit the core that is in there and I destroyed it trying to remove, also replacment valves from parts store do not fit the stock fitting.....i had to replace the entire dryer/accumulator it was $50
The new dryer included a valve core that CAN be replaced, matches the valve cores available at the parts stores
Let me rephrase the question. I want to change the low pressure recycling switch (the one next to the charging port). On the newer models, this can be changed without emptying the R134 charge, as there is a shrader valve behind it. Does my old 98 explorer also have this shrader valve?

I'd just give it a turn or so and see if it pushes any Freon out. Loosen just enough to tell..

Back