A/C Thumping Noise...Dealer Wants $450! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Thumping Noise...Dealer Wants $450!

willied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT V8
I took my Explorer in today to get some stuff fixed, this included the A/C which is making a thumping noise when I start the car up and when adjusted in certain ways. There is a TSB that describes my problem, but the dealer says the problem is the temp regulator and it needs to be replaced for $450. The lady I talked to said that it's going to fail soon if I don't get it fixed, which of course she was lying because I've had the problem for 8 months and the A/C still works great. I didn't want to have to take it to the dealer, but I had to to get the tranny recalibrated. What's the deal here?

Here's the TSB:

TSB
07-19-7 A/C COMPRESSOR THUMP NOISE - 4.6L

Publication Date: September 11, 2007

FORD: 2006-2008 Explorer
2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2008 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 07-12-7 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2008 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer and 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with a 4.6L engine may exhibit an intermittent thump or similarly described noise transmitted into the passenger compartment in A/C / Auto / Defrost modes, when the A/C compressor engages.

ACTION:
Follow Workshop Manual, Section 412-01 to replace the A/C suction accumulator and O-rings associated with the repair.

NOTE: A/C COMPRESSORS SHOULD NOT BE REPLACED FOR THIS CONDITION.

NOTE: THIS ACCUMULATOR SHOULD ONLY BE USED TO SERVICE THIS SYMPTOM. DO NOT USE FOR NORMAL A/C REPAIRS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L2Z-19C836-B A/C Accumulator
1W1Z-19E889-LB A/C O-Ring

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
071907A 2006-2008 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac 4.6L: Replace The Air Conditioning Suction Accumulator, Includes Time To Recover, Evacuate, And Charge The Air Conditioning System (Do Not Use With 19700A, 19700A18, 12650D6, 9600A) 1.0 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
19c836 42

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the same problem. it does not go away when you replace the accumulator. I replaced mine when i was working at the dealer and it did nothing. still there i just live with it.

Well, that sucks.

How much of a thump is the thumping? We have a noise but I'd call it more of a tapping than a thumping.

I'll get a video of it when I get my car back.

Our '07 does it. I'd say it does it about 50% of the time. It's one of those things that if it doesn't get worse, I'm not worrying about it. The a/c continues to blow ice cold.

Our '07 does it. I'd say it does it about 50% of the time. It's one of those things that if it doesn't get worse, I'm not worrying about it. The a/c continues to blow ice cold.

Mine does it too since day one.

It only happens when I start the car, and it only lasts for around 5 seconds. I wanted to get it fixed if I could, but it's just not worth it considering the price since the A/C still works perfectly.

Back