A challenge for you all... 01 explorer stalls going from drive to reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A challenge for you all... 01 explorer stalls going from drive to reverse

Ed Doucette

Reaction score
City, State
Merrimack Valley Area, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Ok, maybe this is not a challenge... but it's driving me crazy. I am having an intermittent problem with my truck which seems like an low idle issue. The truck will stall when shifting from drive to reverse. This only happens when it is warm, and it seems to only happen when going from drive to reverse. If you start up the truck and it's at operating temperature, shift into reverse (to back out of a parking spot say) it is fine. Any ideas?

2001 Explorer Sport, 4.0 V6, 114K miles on it

Check for vacuum leaks

Ok, maybe this is not a challenge... but it's driving me crazy. I am having an intermittent problem with my truck which seems like an low idle issue. The truck will stall when shifting from drive to reverse. This only happens when it is warm, and it seems to only happen when going from drive to reverse. If you start up the truck and it's at operating temperature, shift into reverse (to back out of a parking spot say) it is fine. Any ideas?

2001 Explorer Sport, 4.0 V6, 114K miles on it

I would probably clean the IAC valve for starters.

When was the last tuneup? Any CEL?

Back