• Register Today It's free!

A4DL slipping

explorerscope

Reaction score
City, State
Deland, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer 4D 4x4 auto
My 93 Ford ex has transmission slipping and was not properly going into overdrive. I visited 2 trans shops today, both said I need a rebuild and I wondered why they would come to such a quick conclusion after a quick test drive and estimate for rebuild at $1200 to $1500 bucks. I decided to visit Autozone to have my codes read cause the check light was on(the trans shop was not able to get the codes-used wrong test block..duh). Codes revealed a bad trottle sensor and nothing concerning the trans. I brought and installed the sensor and the check engine light hasn't come on since. I asked about additive to stop slipping and after putting in like 12oz it has been driving almost perfect.The product was Lucas(dont remember full name)

I think the trans fluid is worn and needs to change but the trans shops said I should not change my fluid and do a flush cause that would do more damage, are they right about this?
I am thinking that since it is in working order with the additive/clenser, maybe I should do the flush and change the filter and see if just old fluids was the problem and there seems is be no more mechanical problems since I put that stuff in. I only had the vehicle a month. Also would seafoam help clean out the junk in there? I looking for all options besides a rebuilt cause it seems like thats all the trans shops wants ; to get money out of me.

A bad TPS can cause overdrive problems. Did you still have problems after installing TPS, or did you put in the additive at the same time? A pan drop is not likely to hurt anything. Replace filter only with Microfelt element, not metal screen, because it is the only type that can actually filter. Old bolt is too long for newer filter and you must use the spacer or the tranny will suck air. Don't use any cleaner or it will clogg 3-4 valve. New fluid has enough cleaner. There will be just as much sediment in the pan in 4 months as you find when you first drop it as more comes out of the clutch packs and TC. Adding an external filter might be a good idea if a lot of sediment is found.

I did the additive first and 5 mins later did the TPS. I'm sure there is lots of sediment in there cause there was junk(dirt,sand and water) in my gas tank, and junk in my radiator...I see a pattern there....I think this truck was either proviously flooded or the previous owner did lots of "mudding". I've never done a trans fluid change before, under the truck I see 2 "pans" which is for the trans the big one with lots of bolts or the smaller one...this is a 93 explorer 4x4 model. I also don't see a drain for the trans, where is it?

The transmission is the rear one. Dropping the pan is always a mess since there is no drain plug. You'll never love your vehicle more than you do now. If you have the money, I would buy a deep pan from www.yourcovers.com for the A4LD. This will give you 3 extra quarts of fluid, add extra cooling, and aid in the cleaning. It also has a drain plug that will keep you from getting a bath when the fluid is changed again.

The SPX MicroFelt filter is available from www.bulkpart.com for half the price of the auto parts store. This is Ford's OEM filter and it works for all the A4LD family through 5R55E. If buying local (about $23), ask for a filter for the 97 V6 OHV Explorer. You must use the new mounting hardware or the filter won't tighten up properly.

23921 Microfelt filter 4WD long pickup tube $10.35

These must be ordered separately, you are buying bulk!
23270 filter O ring large $.29
23271 filter O ring small $.48
23141 pan gasket cork $.69

TMA4LD manual is $16 if you want to learn more about your transmission.

There is a minimum $ order so you probably must order two. There is another reason for two. Shipping is easily paid for by the savings of just one filter. Six months to a year from now you will have to replace the filter because it will get dirty. New fluid will release a lot of dirt in the transmission.

You might even consider replacing the low/reverse servo O ring. Got any delays in reverse? Common problem with one this age if it hasn't been rebuilt.

Back