Adding factory options post purchase? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding factory options post purchase?

I've turned the auto dimming headlight feature OFF. Better than the one in my former 1964 Caddy but still not quite there in my opinion. Do your seats really message or do they massage?:D

Peter
Auto dimming headlights?

Auto dimming headlights?
Yes. They switch automatically to the low beam when on high beam when approaching traffic is sensed and then back to high beams. Auto High Beams is the correct term.:)

Peter

The Auto High beam is a pain where I live. The street lights have them turn on turn off more then enough for me to just leave that setting off. If a cop was coming at me the morning I had them set to on he would have pulled me over thinking I was drunk. Some things just don't need to be automated.

I feel for the OP, but in most instances it is nearly impossible and crazy expensive to add options after the fact. That’s why the high-end models cost so much more! That’s why I only buy vehicles that have all the options I will ever want, and a few I didn’t know I had to have(
like the messaging seats, and auto dimming headlamps).
Generally it is best to get what you want upfront, but if you can't (buying used) or don't want to order (buying new) and the vehicle is popular enough to have a plentiful supply of used/crash parts available, it may be possible to make upgrades or add some features after the fact easily/reasonably. I have upgraded fascias, exterior mirrors, head/tail lights, seats and other interior trim, wheels, and other stuff on base vehicles to those from higher trim levels over the years. There are a lot of things that are easy to do and some that require a little more effort (replacement parts and programming via forscan/ids/similar). For the rest, there are almost always aftermarket solutions, although they may not be as elegant as OEM or as full featured.

As always, YMMV.

Back