Adding Heated Mirrors....

jtudor

Reaction score
City, State
Grove City, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Hey guys,
My 2006 Explorer is not equipped with the Heated Mirror option but I surely would love to have them. I know they offer them OEM through Ford and I wondered if anyone knew if the wire is already pre-ran for the heated option, if it would just be a matter of swapping both mirrrors out.

I.E. On my dad's 1999 F-250, we had to run an addition wire to hookup the heated part.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no the wireing is not there for the heated mirrors. the heated mirrors ran with the back heated window at least for the second gens. all that happen is you hit the rear defrost switch and it would kick a relay on for the rear window and your mirrors. your explorer does not have the relay to kick on the heated mirrors nor do you have the wireing for it.

but it would be an easy add on just find one at a junk yard an yank them off and wire them up yourself, you would just need to wire up the power for the element on the mirrors to a relay and to the battery. but it might be hard to come by since you have the new design.

i am actually doing this to my 2nd gen, i've done all the planning and looked threw the wiring diagrams to do this, just need the mirrors.

Adding Heated mirrors

YES - it can be done. I had them added to my 2006 Explorer at my dealer & they work fine. The wiring was indeed there to receive the mirrors.

BB

YES - it can be done. I had them added to my 2006 Explorer at my dealer & they work fine. The wiring was indeed there to receive the mirrors.

BB
Hey BB....What model Explorer do you have? I found out the wiring is there for a Eddie Bauer and Limited, but no one could verify XLT (which is what I have)
Also, how much did this run you?

BB

the 2nd gens DO NOT have this, just to make everything clear. i wasn't really sure on if the 3rd gens had it, i was just assuming. good to know though.

Hey BB....What model Explorer do you have? I found out the wiring is there for a Eddie Bauer and Limited, but no one could verify XLT (which is what I have)
Also, how much did this run you?
I paid $319.17 ($145.65 labor / $173.52 parts) I have a 2006 XLT

Adding Heated mirrors

jtudor....I paid $319.17 ($145.65 labor / $173.52 parts)
I have a 2006 XLT / V8
BB

Maybe I'm not catching this lol...
Who would you talk to at the dealership to get this done? Like parts, service, etc.?

Adding heated mirrors

I just asked my service advisor...he ordered the parts, and booked the appointment

PM Sent to BB....

Bump....
Does anyone know if this can be done with just a plug and play or if I will need to run an additional wire? I looked at the wiring diagram but I couldn't tell a difference in wiring.

It sounds like a possibility. The task can be done, whether wiring is part of it is the question. Why not spend five minutes and pull the door panel off? You can reach into the door to pull out the mirror wiring connector to look at.

Your mirror will have fewer wires than a heated mirror. If the heated wiring is in the truck, then there will be more wires going into the connector from the car, than the mirror side connector. If that is the case, then most likely you can just plug in the heated mirrors. Good luck,

Looks like an easy enough job to do yourself. Does anyone know if there is a switch involved or does it just run off of the defroster?

Back