• Register Today It's free!

adjusting headlights vertically

oz16us

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
has anyone tried adjusting their headlights vertically? I tried using an adjustable wrench but it didn't seem to work since it keeps slipping off. Should it be very easy to turn the 6mm adjustment? I don't want to force it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will get some resistance as you attempt to turn the screw. I thought it was smaller than 6mm though, maybe only 4 or 4.5mm.. But they are adjustable. Mine were adjusted way too high by previous owner and I had to bring them down to shine on the road instead of the trees. Our headlights still suck though... Silverstar Ultra bulbs have helped.

oh ok. Yeah I tried using an adjustable wrench but it kept slipping off. Even when I was able to get some kind of leverage, I felt like I was breaking it. What to do?

You will get some resistance as you attempt to turn the screw. I thought it was smaller than 6mm though, maybe only 4 or 4.5mm.. But they are adjustable. Mine were adjusted way too high by previous owner and I had to bring them down to shine on the road instead of the trees. Our headlights still suck though... Silverstar Ultra bulbs have helped.

What size silver stars did you use?

direct replacement. Check out sylvannia's bulb replacement guide. Really easy to use.

Also, spray the adjustment bolt with PB Blaster or some other penetrant oil and let it soak for a little.

i was hoping that i could use the 40% off coupon..unfortunately, i can't

actually, they're on eBay for less. Anyone else have any other recommendations before i get these?

The adjusters can and do seize up. Spray the crap outta the gearbox with a good penetrant and let it sit a while. Use the correct socket, 4mm I think, and wiggle it back and forth...alot. Most will free up. One of mine didn't and had to replace it.

i appreciate the input :)

Back