• Register Today It's free!

Advice on some Mods?

Zsane

Reaction score
City, State
Plattsburgh, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
So ok this is my first post really here. Great Site lots of information here, may have to subscribe. but have a few questions, does anyone here have a cold air intake on their explorer? Do they make them for the Explorer and does it benefit like the average car would? Is there one someone would recommend? 2nd does anyone know of any companies that make Winch mounts or bumpers that would fit a 4th Gen Explorer 06 XLT?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the 4.6L V8, K&N makes two air intake kits:

57-2573 which uses the High Density Polyethylene Tube
77-2573KP which uses the Free-flowing Aluminum Tube

If you go to K&N's website http://www.knfilters.com you can search these out.

I'll let others chime in about other options ;)

Sterling Equipment and Mfg. Co. in Florida makes winch mounts for our trucks. The price varies depending on the exact design and options...budget for about $1000 or so for the winch mount and the winch.

Here's their catalog:

http://www.truckwinchmount.com/photos/2009 Truck Winch Mount Catalog.pdf

and here's a user on the forum named The Electrician with one installed:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2802769&postcount=5

Heavy though. With the winch guard and winch installed it weighs in at 330lbs according to him.

So ok this is my first post really here. Great Site lots of information here, may have to subscribe. but have a few questions, does anyone here have a cold air intake on their explorer? Do they make them for the Explorer and does it benefit like the average car would? Is there one someone would recommend? 2nd does anyone know of any companies that make Winch mounts or bumpers that would fit a 4th Gen Explorer 06 XLT?

I'm Sporting a 4.0L V6. Thanks for the link Ronin some nice mounts there, idk if i would go with 12k winch maybe a 10k to try to cut down the weight but 330 extra on the front doesnt sound to bad. I could always put some more HD shocks in.

I'm Sporting a 4.0L V6. Thanks for the link Ronin some nice mounts there, idk if i would go with 12k winch maybe a 10k to try to cut down the weight but 330 extra on the front doesnt sound to bad. I could always put some more HD shocks in.

yeah a 10k should be fine. The Harbor Freight winches are supposed to be decent, Recon also.

With the 4.0 don't bother with a CAI since most of them are not a true CAI. The stock intake is actually pretty good for the V6 and all it really needs is a K&N drop in filter. Also, a performance tune helps get a little more out of the engine and firms up the transmission shifts (I reccommend a superchips 1865 because of the variety of tunes on the programmer).

I thought about a programmer but don't know if there would be a way to set settings back to factory default if i needed too. I've got a list of things i want to do and have to take it in baby steps. I'm not super mechanically inclined and don't have the resources to do most of the things i want myself. But have a laundry list of things. I appreciate all the feedback, will probably start with the K&N Drop in Filter then the programmer. I have been looking at Warn Starter kits for a 10k winch so may get a warn if the mounting is right with sterling mounts.

Ronin, Nice Ironman Explorer, wanted a red one myself when i bought my xlt but couldnt find one. :)

The superchips unit stores the stock programming before overwriting anything. You can switch between the different tune files every hour if you want to and can always go back to stock at any time.

Also consider an SCT tuner. They have a HUGE following on most Ford forums.

Back