Aerostar bent axle-Guess I didn't post this? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aerostar bent axle-Guess I didn't post this?

don-ohio

Reaction score
City, State
jackson,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar extended
Was going to drive the Aerostar from FL to Ohio to get to a good friend and his son and son's wife's funeral. Yep, all killed by a tractor-trailer they pulled out in front of.
Before we left, I noticed a rear vibration when applying brakes and investigated only to find a bad axle and bearing on passenger side. Only has 143K miles. So we took the car instead. I have never bent a Ford axle in my life, but when I go down back to FL home in one week, I have to repair this. BUMMER!
Axle and other parts are waiting at FL Oreilly's.
Anybody else out there ever bend an axle on an 8.8 rear end?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aerostars have thinner 8.8 axles.maybe you bent it carrying too much weight.

Well, I've always carried about 800 lbs. in the bed, all seats are removed but ours.

Are you talking about the axle shaft being bent at the flange where the wheel studs are? One of the few ways that can happen is sliding sideways on ice bumping into something like a curb.

Thanks,Josh, but no accidents or bumps. Just a freak axle warp, I guess. Just g ot back to FL yesterday and can now work on it. Gonna replace left side rear wheel bearing and seal too.

Thanks,Josh, but no accidents or bumps. Just a freak axle warp, I guess. Just g ot back to FL yesterday and can now work on it. Gonna replace left side rear wheel bearing and seal too.
What axle do you have? What's the code on the door tag?

oreally auto parts sold me the wrong seals. i had to get seals for a 3.0.

The 3.0 and AWD has the 7.5, the 4.0 has the 8.8. If you're not the original owner, the previous person could have replaced it with whatever was available at the junk yard that day.

The 3.0 and AWD has the 7.5, the 4.0 has the 8.8. If you're not the original owner, the previous person could have replaced it with whatever was available at the junk yard that day.
it has the 8.8.i put a posi in it.i had to buy seals from autozone for a 3.0 .bothe autozone and orellys listed the wrong seal.

The differential is an 8.8 with limited slip. 3: 55 ratio.
I got the bearing, axle, and seal in today..........other side's perfect so I'll let it go for now. New brake drum on the right side too. I'll wash out the punkin and refill tomorrow.

it has the 8.8.i put a posi in it.i had to buy seals from autozone for a 3.0 .bothe autozone and orellys listed the wrong seal.
That's cause the 8.8 28 spline axle shafts are identical to the 7.5 axle. The exle itself is about 10% stronger than the 7.5 since the only difference is the ring gear. The 31 spline units, like what's in the explorer are a lot stronger.

Thanks Josh! That makes sense, since I've never seen a Ford axle bend in my life. I've seen and owned a LOT of Fords, cars and trucks and worked in a pit crew for dirt track. Never a bent axle. I was really surprised.
It's all fixed now and runs very smooth.

Back