• Register Today It's free!

After-Factory Moonroof (Help)

kc_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I had a moonroof installed to a 2002 Explorer XLT that was on the lot with everything I was looking for, minus the moonroof of course. The Explorer has the auxillary air control, so it has the vents in the roof over the third row, and the second row. The dealer said that the auxillary air control would not be affected by adding the moonroof, only the overhead console would be altered. I had seen an Explorer on their lot with the moonroof, and auxillary air, and thought it looked fine. The dealer said it would look almost exactly the same. Well....we got it back and the moonroof looks great, but the vents over the second row were not put back in, and the cloth liner on the roof of the Explorer was just pulled and glued at the sides. I understand that the liner that was up there had to cut to make room for the moonroof compartment, but on the sides of the compartment there is nothing underneath the cloth. I flaps a bit in the wind, and I can take my finger and push up to touch the roof if I want. They said they could put the vents back, but they didn't know what they could do to help support the cloth. There has to be something they can do. Why can't they alter the old liner and put it back up? I would think they could put something up there to adhere the cloth to. Has anyone had an after-factory moonroof installed, and do you have any problems similar to this? Please tell me there is something that can be done. I don't want to have to start using pushpins to hold the cloth up on a new vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take it back and not leave until you are happy. They re-used my headliner and it looks as good as before it was installed. I would just go back stay firm and ***** and holler and make a scene. Walk around to the customers and ask if they want to see the great job they just did to your $30k+ vehicle. Somebody will start listening.

Welcome to Customer Service of the new Millenia!

That is crap. I agree 100% with addkev. It seems that the mentality of customer service nowadays is...

"Wear em down, wear em down Jonnie."

If they can't make it like the one that they 'said' it would be like then you have every right to demand that they make it like that one or better. If not then they should give you another...

Did you purchase this vehicle on the premise that they would accomidate you with adding a moonroof rather then having you wait until they had one with a factory sunroof? If yes then you definately have them by the balls.

It really burns me when they try to wear you down.

The old man has had his 99 Limited in for new tranny's 3 times. They keep giving him refab trannys and keep on trying to wear him down, rather than just fixing it right the first time. Did I mention the truck only has 60K?

They just figure that sooner or later you will wither blow your top or you will just throw your hands up in the air and say f-it this is too much trouble. Don't let them win! Be that tenacious sonofabit@h that gets under their skin.

Enough rambling. Good Luck!!

I appreciate your input, here's more info.

We were going to order an Explorer with everything on it that we wanted, but the salesman said that the one on the lot had everything we wanted, but the sunroof. He said, that can be added easily though. He made the assumption that it would come back exactly like the one on the lot that had been done in the factory, and therefore so was I. Now, it doesn't seem as if they had ever even done this, or dealt with the company that put in this sunroof. Since, he has asked that I speak with the guy who put the sunroof in to clarify what is wrong with it. I didn't think that was right, but I didn't really want anymore second-hand information passed along. I have also called a couple of other places that install sunroofs and I am going to take the Explorer in for them to look at to see if they say it was done properly or it wasn't. Once this gets resolved ( I will see to it that it does), should I expect anything from the dealer for putting up with this unwanted, unexpected hassle? How should I handle that?

That is a very good point, when people think that something was 'dealer installed' most of the time it is the opposite the dealer simply contracts it out. When I had my sunroof installed, I went and asked the dealer who theyused and they referred me to the local shop. Same thing with leather, the local dealer uses an upholstry shop, when it isn't 'factory installed'. I would still stick to my guns. The dealer sent it to this shop to have it done for you. Therefore in my eyes they sold it to you this way. The dealer will have more pressure to throw around than just you by yourself.

Back