aftermarket amp to factory HU | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

aftermarket amp to factory HU

inline crimps also check and make sure the RCA's going to the amp are in the input and not the output plug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with 9 gauge, do you think thats the problem? I picked up an amp wiring kit. I am very new at this so I probably picked up the wrong thing?

I would overkill and install 4 gauge. I did that in my car, and changing amps is no problem.

thanks, for all of the help, I've double checked everything and still no luck, looks like I'm taking it to a professional today.

Im thinking the sub may be hooked up wrong. It is a single 8" in a ported box. It has two sets of speaker hookups. Should I run two sets of speaker wires to teh two sets, or one set to one, and hook up that set to the other as well? Does this sound confusing?

It is a duel voice coil sub

Are you using the Infinity amp, or the Pioneer?

You need to hook up the two speaker hookups. How, depends on what ohm load the amp can take, and what ohm the sub's voice coils are.

I found out my problem was the sub. i am not sure what the problem is except for that its very old. I hooked a friends up to my setup and it sounded great. Now is my search for a sub. What kind of a sub can I get that would sound good in a small box? I want an 8 but I want it to fit behind my third row?

what is the best type of small box, ported?

also, I'm not looking for anything too loud. I am running stock head unit and speakers. I just want to add a little bit too it so it sounds good inside. I am looking to sell my ex in the next two years.

ported box will give you louder bass , sealed box will give you more accurate sound quality bass just remember audio stuff can always be taken with you if you sell the truck

I am posting this thinking maby someone else was in the same predicament that I was in. Personaly I did not want to loose my factory 6 disk cd changer even though I prefer aftermarket decks. Besides now it looks factory with allot of boom.

(1) First Run you posotive wire from battery to rear were amp will be moounted (DO NOT CONNECT TO BATTERY)

(2) Then run a wire from battery to a switch installed were ever you prefer then run another wire from the switch to the rear of you vehicle were your amp will be mounted.

(3)Next you will need to remove your rear door panel exposing you rear speaker.

(4) Then take you RCA cables an remove one end then splice into the rca wires and seperate the loose wire inside from the coated wire inside repeat with the other cut off rca end.(Now you should have 2 audio plugs on one end and 2 stripped wires on the other)

(5)Now you splice into your reap speaker wires and you connect the two small coated wires two one and the 2 free wires to the other make sure two tape the 2 wires away from touching each other.

(6)Now run your RCA's to the rear of you vehicle were the amp will be mounted (Be sure to hide all of you wires for both cosmetic reason's plus they cant be tripped on if there hidden)

(7) Now you can hook up your wires to the battery and the one you ran from the switch back to the rear will be your remote wire so now you will have the option of turning your amp on and of when ever your not or dont want to listen to it. Plus do not forget to run your negative to a bolt somwere grounded to the body this should not exceed 2-3 feet in length.

(8 Now you can put your door pannel back on and hook your wires two your amp and then two your subs and the amp will run as it would hooked up two a aftermarket deck.

There is a box you can buy from stores to hook into your speakers and then hook patch cords up to but i have found that you loose sound quality and you allso loose volume and somtimes get distortion. I prefer this because of my 6 disk cd changer and i prefer it to look factory you are in the long run better with an aftermarket head unit because of all of the settings but this works well and i do recomend it. Hope this helps someone that might need help with this. Thanks

Back