Ah! Water in my projector housing.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ah! Water in my projector housing....

So it rained hard and on the driver side headlight water got in. It is now fogging up the lense...My question is ...is there anyway to get this water our IE:headgun to the lense and seal it more or do I have to pull the headlight and lense off and clean inside?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a "take it apart" job to me. I have cleared up some light foging with a hair dryer but water is going to have to be poured out. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.
Any room to drill a hole in the bottom of the lense? (Battery powered drill only.)

Move to Colorado? That moisture will leave quickly in our climate

Sounds like a "take it apart" job to me. I have cleared up some light foging with a hair dryer but water is going to have to be poured out. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.
Any room to drill a hole in the bottom of the lense? (Battery powered drill only.)

Im sure there is but if Im going to have to drill holes in the housing I might as well just pull it. Pulling headlights without damaging anything is just a PITA on our trucks so I was trying to avoid it at all costs. Is there is a walkthru on how to pull headlights easily anywhere? lol

sorry to hear that. I just finished my retrofit...well not quite, just test fitted them on without sealing up the headlights and never got around to taking them back out to seal them up. I hope it doesnt rain soon down here.

Once you do get the condensation out how do you plan to seal up the assembly? I suggest marine adhesive from 3M that stuff dries clear, takes the heat and is very durable.
Or perhaps fiberglass & resin?

Sure, pop out the bulb (I suggest removing the bulb from the harness and putting it somewhere safe while working on the assembly), then use a clean cloth damp with 91% or better alcohol and a wood/plastic rod to wipe around inside the assembly. Try to just hit the lens with it and not the reflector on the backside. You can use a hairdryer on low to blow inside and evaporate anything the alcohol doesn't get, but it will probably leave minor water spots. Use some clear silicone or something to seal up where the water leaked in. Reinstall clear bulb, wait until the silicone dries to use the headlights, and you're done. You might want to seal up the other headlight in the same spot as well.

Sure, pop out the bulb (I suggest removing the bulb from the harness and putting it somewhere safe while working on the assembly), then use a clean cloth damp with 91% or better alcohol and a wood/plastic rod to wipe around inside the assembly. Try to just hit the lens with it and not the reflector on the backside. You can use a hairdryer on low to blow inside and evaporate anything the alcohol doesn't get, but it will probably leave minor water spots. Use some clear silicone or something to seal up where the water leaked in. Reinstall clear bulb, wait until the silicone dries to use the headlights, and you're done. You might want to seal up the other headlight in the same spot as well.

Good Idea but I was trying to prevent taking the headlight housing itself out because its such a pain!

Back