Air Ride Control Issues after raise back 2" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Ride Control Issues after raise back 2"

Obscure

Reaction score
City, State
Milano Italy
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4.0 SOHC LIMITED
Good morning everyone.
I recently installed an extra leaf spring to raise the rear by about 2".
Now after I travel a few km the ARC error light comes on. (I would like to point out that the self-levelling system has always worked correctly.)
I just need to turn off the ignition with the key and the light disappears, but returns later after another few km.
What should I check, other than fuses, to fix this?
If instead you changed the rear shock absorbers with spring ones and eliminated the Air Ride system, might that be a better idea?
Thanks a lot to everyone

20240221_173950.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should modify the height sensor on the rear axle for the arc system

By adding 2” of lift your height sensor now thinks you are always in the “up” position.
You should make a simple bracket to re locate the sensor 2”upwards so even with the new lift the sensor is in the correct “ride height” position.

I understand perfectly what I have to do. As soon as I solve it I will update you here.
Could you show me with a photo where it is? thank you

I don’t have any pics of the sensor! There was one recently on the forum of a broken one hanging down. It is very easy to find it is right on the rear axle by the rear diff

In the past all I have ever done is turn the air suspension switch to the off position and rip all of that factory stuff out because in the last 15 years non of them ever come to me in working condition.
Most have already been replaced with aftermarket shocks

Ok identified:
(Correct me if I'm wrong)
1 = Height Adjustment
2 = Height Sensor

I have to intervene on number 1 right?
I can only shorten number 1 because number 2 is already at its maximum extension.
I did a test:
- if I release sensor 2 and push it upwards, the compressor starts but the height of the car does not change.
Thank you for your help because I'm confused.

Air Sensor.jpg

Ok, I created the stick by welding together the two pins of the trunk lid.

20240314_164531.jpg

I installed it, the compressor works when needed and the light no longer appears.

Screenshot_20240314_170028_Gallery.jpg

Mission Completed!
Thanks for the support!

Very well done!!!

Back