Alpine SPR 5"x7" or 6.5" w/ Adapter??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alpine SPR 5"x7" or 6.5" w/ Adapter???

rpr

Reaction score
City, State
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
They will be going into a '97 Ford Explorer, so the stock cutout is 5x7/6x8. However, I keep reading posts about 6.5" speakers with an adapter plate being the better way to go as opposed to the OEM replacement size of 5x7/6x8's.

The specs are pretty much identical between the 2 different size Alpines I am looking at (SPR-174A for the 6.5" and SPR-574A for the 5"x7"). However, the 6.5" does go a bit lower in frequency response (45Hz compared to 48Hz), and it also has a 1" diameter tweeter as opposed to a 3/4" diamter tweeter on the 5x7.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, I see alot of talk for door mount speakers to go with different types between the front and back (with the focus being on the front). Wouldn't it make sense to keep them the same? I am thinking aabout these Alpine SPR's for the front and back doors. Should I be thinking twice about this?

Tx for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go with the 6.5s. i will defend my bostons once again. they are perfect for any application, and carry the highs really good. they're a bit pricy, but if you got the $$$ go for it.

Who carries the Boston's? I couldn't find them at Crutchfield, Etronics or several other on-line vendors.

look up boston acoustics on the net. their homepage should have a list of liscensed vendors. I got mine free from a neighbor, but don't count on that luck. I know they make speakers to fit every possible application, so just browse their site.

Alpine SPR-176A

Good choice on the Alpine's! The July issue of Car Audio magazine has a great test report on them....check it out. I would go with the same set front/rear. Yes Boston makes some good speakers too, but If you are going to spend that kind of money go for MB Quart....Awsome speakers!!

Rich,
Good choice with the Alpines. I prefer round speakers over ovals, but that is just me. If you need an adapter, they should be easy to build out of just about anything.

Robb

BTW: Man, sorry I made your life so complicated by buying your system.:D

The only reason people choose different speakers is a matter of preference for soundstage. If you truly wanted a focused front soundstage, you concentrate money on the front, and lesser speakers in the back - not necessarily lesser by make or anything, but if you truly use rear speakers for rear-fill only, and not to compete with a front soundstage, you're usually only outputing midrange frequencies primarily. However, if you frequently have rear seat passengers, they find this annoying, because they obviously won't enjoy the music in full. Even if you're not committed to a perfect soundstage, or have infrequent passengers, then some people just prefer to save a little money by cutting corners on the rear. It's a matter of personal taste.

Purists want circular cones with the assumption that you might receive a cleaner response from the cone when it travels, compared to an oval, where the weight and structure is not evenly distributed (from center to edge). How noticable or marginal this is for a cone so small, light, or rigid would depend and no one has found any real hard evidence. It's again a matter of purist taste.

Back