• Register Today It's free!

Alternator woes.

Arne13

Reaction score
City, State
Kenesaw, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Tried this once before so if it posts twice, I am sorry.

Alternator started squealing on my 93 Explorer Sport. No problem, ordered one from Rock Auto, it was a closeout and had a 30 day warrenty. Brand new and a major brand.

Got it in and it wouldn't work. Batt. light was on, charge meter was reading way low. Did some research, found the fuse in the engine compartment was blown. New 15 amp fuse and everything was lovely. Took it to the lake with the boat behind it. Life is good. Coming home on a hot day, a.c. blasting, radio on and the dreaded batt. light came back on, meter showed low charging. Turned off a.c., radio, and kept heading home. 20 mile to go, hope the battery holds out. Couple of miles later, the batt. light goes off and the charge meter reads o.k. A.c. back on, radio on and no problems. First thing thru my mind, regulator is bad. Priced one, bout as expensive as the alternator was. Need the explorer for the next weekend, so bought another new alternator. tThe first alt. was out of warrenty so I just bit the bullet and got another one.

Working fine, back to the lake. Alternator charge needle would jump around once in a while but still working ok. New alt. had a lifetime warrenty so just decided to keep using it til something happened.

Yesterday morning. Temp. down in the lower 50's. Alt. light came on, meter was reading low. Now I am thinking bad wire, bad ground, also at the lake 100 mi. from home. Opened the hood, all wires look good, connections seem to be tight, course most all my tools are at home in the garage. Neighbor came over and started talking with me. I popped the top on the underhood fuse block. Now the sun is shining in the engine compartment, lots of light. The one new fuse in the block doesn't look quite right. Wasn't straight with the world. Took it out, replaced it, batt. light out, charging meter working, no voltage fluctuation. Just didn't have The fuse in the holder properly. It would touch and work most of the time, but sometimes would not make contact like it should.

Just wanted to pass this on. Maybe it will help somebody else along the line.

Happy Motoring. Arne.

Back