• Register Today It's free!

Amsoil air filters

tnmk

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
Let me get this straight. Amsoil filters are cleanable, but use no oil? Is that right?
They only replace other performance filters?
Is there an aftermarket performance bracket I could get for the filter so I don't have to fab something together?
Which one would I want to get for my '00 5.0?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tnmk said:
Let me get this straight. Amsoil filters are cleanable, but use no oil? Is that right?
They only replace other performance filters?
Is there an aftermarket performance bracket I could get for the filter so I don't have to fab something together?
Which one would I want to get for my '00 5.0?

Aldive already answered your cleaning question. Check eBay for a bracket that would attach the filter to your MAF. I've seen zillions of them on there. Outside of eBay, you won't find many in the aftermarket.

Here's plenty on eBay. Just ditch the crappy filter that comes with it.

Do you have an aftermarket intake? If not, then you can look to see if Amsoil has a replacement filter to fit your stock airbox.

They do, I'm thinking of getting them for two of my vehicles.

I've had one in my stock airbox for several months. But mine is the '97 conical housing. Wasn't sure what they put in the X these days.

You can find the adapters on ebay pretty easily.... however i can't find the AMSoil filters on ebay. I have paypal $$ to spend on this too. =[

97WillowXLT said:
You can find the adapters on ebay pretty easily.... however i can't find the AMSoil filters on ebay. I have paypal $$ to spend on this too. =[

The odds of finding an Amsoil filter on eBay are slim to none. Firstly, these filters just got released about a month ago. Amsoil is a multi-level marketing sort of organization (sounds a lot like Amway, right? It resembles it, but is not cult-like as Amway comes across). You either have to buy directly from Amsoil or someone affililated with Amsoil. You can pay full price (as advertised on their site), or if you buy a Preferred or Business membership, you get the filters for cheaper. You can also buy from someone who has a business membership and they can cut you deals directly.

Check www.amsoil.com for details. I have a Preferred Membership and it paid for itself on my first order of oil/filters etc. The airfilter was my 2nd order. Even if you paid full price from Amsoil.com, these filters are still a great deal. Mine listed for $16 less than the one I got from Green and I think it's a much better made filter. I paid even less with my Preferred Membership. Amsoil doesn't gouge on shipping either. You might even have an Amsoil dealer nearby that won't even charge you shipping.

Aldive's a dealer. He'll probably try and sell you one now. :D

Ha... well considering that bullshit, i'll just buy k&n.... marketing 101... don't make buying a hassle for customers.

97WillowXLT said:
Ha... well considering that bullshit, i'll just buy k&n.... marketing 101... don't make buying a hassle for customers.

It's not a hassle. The first order I placed with Amsoil, I got about 12 hours after I placed the order, delivered to my home. The next big order I placed came about as fast, to my work address and it was in 3 big boxes. Placed late afternoon, I got it the next morning. I think I was charged $12 in freight and it was heavy. Even with shipping, it was a good deal based on the quality of the oil and diffy fluid I was scoring. The airfilter took a bit longer because they have limited stock so far. I got that in a week, delivered to my office for a few bucks in freight. Even so, it cost me a LOT less than the Green filter I scored maybe a month earlier.

K&N is not the be all, end all. I've got two of them in my garage with maybe 50 miles combined on them. I'll sell them some day if I ever get around to it. They come out of the box with globs of oil on it. I cleaned and re-oiled one of them right away because it was so greasy. The Green filter I got recently had very marginal amounts of oil on it. That's ideal if you're going with coil and cotton. People get all hung up on K&N and K&N hooks them in with aggressive marketing. I've used Amsoil/Green/AFE and K&N and here's how I rank them based on quality, effectiveness and value:

(1) Amsoil (high quality, good prices, NO OILING!)
(2) Green (quality filter, lightly oiled, bit pricey)
(3) AFE (stock filter with my Volant kit, beefier than K&N, not nearly as oily).
(4) K&N (way too oily for me, right out the box, overpriced, don't seem as well made as other filters above).

Bite the bullet and place an order with Amsoil. Or ask Aldive to get one for you. He might even have a Paypal account.

I shall be happy to get you Amsoil goods at dealer cost. Let me know ....

How much for a cone with a 3.5" opening?

thanks for all the info. I'll definately keep it in mind when i finally get around to doing something.

97WillowXLT said:
How much for a cone with a 3.5" opening?

Might want to measure up the dimensions you think you need. They have 4 filters with 3.5" ID on the flange. Go Dead Link Removed for more info. They all price out differently. Al and I use different filters, both with 3.5". I'm using the EaAU3560 and it fits my custom Volant setup like a glove. I think his is the EaAU3570 and it's working well with his MAC setup. One of the other 3.5" filters is pretty small, and the other one's a beast and probably wouldn't work for you. FWIW, the model I'm using is a bit cheaper than Al's. Can't see why it wouldn't work with any setup on an Explorer. It's a tad shorter than the 3570, but takes up a bit more space overall.

intake2.jpg

intake3.jpg

Those pictures look great...I have never seen an install of this. I am going to buy these shortly, and since I am an AMSOIL Dealer, I can get them at a very respectable price. Let me know how you like the Filter. Here is a Filter guide that is also on the AMSOIL website that you might have passed up.

Also, my website is www.motoroildepot.com if you are interested in checking that out. I have made the ordering process very simple and user friendly.

Filtration Guide

Back