• Register Today It's free!

Another auto hub question.

94eb4x4

Reaction score
City, State
So Daytona Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited AWD V8
Hey guys and gals. Newbie here and have a question. I have a 94 explorer 4x4 eb. I have read a bunch of writeups here and could not find the answer to this question. How exactly does the axle connect to the hub? I did the "spin the front drive shaft and see if the wheels turn". Nothing happens up front at all. Everything engages up to the spindle / hub area. When I spin it or even drive it with the hub off, there is nothing happening in the spindle area except the drive shaft spinning. What should i be looking for? They do have a lot of grease on them, I plan on cleaning both, hub and spindle area with brake clean and atf. Yes it is in 4 wheel drive when i am testing if your wondering. Thank you guys and gals for any info.:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so when you spin the front drive shaft the axle shafts turn but not the wheel/spindle?

Yes, the axles engage but the hubs dont. When I spin the axel with the hub off, the axel turns and the rotors sit still. Nothing else looks like it would engage the hubs in any way.

Just like any other drive system, the splines on the end of the axles is what engages the hub to drive it. The other mechanisms surrounding the axle on the spindle and inside the hub are what lock it.

Generally if the splined axle spins that means the driveshaft and differential are working. If the hubs don't lock to turn the wheels, that means the engagement mechanisms aren't working.

Best bet is to clean the hubs out with ATF until they are spotless and grease free. Caked up grease can prevent them from engaging. You may also have to mount them to the vehicle and try engaging/disengaging them several times with actual driving to get them working again.

Anime hits the nail on the head, get the grease out of the hubs it's not supposed to be there at all. :thumbsup:
Wood 1, awesome compilation of threads. That answers the question, and many others besides. :thumbsup:
Great work guys!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will get the grease out, I just wanted to make sure all the locking happens within the hub itself because I saw nothing happening at the axle shaft area at all. Now to get some brake clean and atf.

Also make sure after you clean them you don't pack it back with grease, a mistake a lot of people make with auto hubs. I have manual hubs now but even with them I put a LIGHT coating of oil in the hub just to keep them from rusting. Grease does a good job holding on to dirt and other junk which is why I dont use grease.

I took the hubs apart and all the stuff on the axles and cleaned everything thoroughly. Put everything back together in the correct sequence and lubed temperarily with wd 40. Now I have clicking noise coming from the hubs. The axles are good, it is not them making noise. The clicking happens in a straight line, like they are not engaging all the way. Could it be some spacer I have read about???

Also does the clicking when the truck is on the ground and I spin the front drive shaft.

The hubs click when they engage/disengage by design.

If they are clicking over and over then they might not be fully engaging and the noise is them engaging/disengaging rapidly. Sometimes a new spacer is the fix, sometimes they just need to see some use to get the mechanisms working right again.

WOW wood. Thanks for the hub fix link with pix!!! That is exactly what I need to do with mine. Thank you everyone for all your help, you guys are awesome. Truth is, I helped my neighbor get his manual hubs on his Toyota pickup working thinking mine worked fine. We both went to a local mud "puddle" and as he got out and locked his hubs, I looked over at him in my a/c truck smiled and just hit the button. Well he went out and had a blast and covered his truck in filth, I went out and almost got stuck, still pulled through in 2 wheel. I guess he got the last laugh. He has been great though in helping me try to get mine going. You guys though have been the best help, Thank You All!!!!!!!!

Back