Are 3rd & 4th gen suspension lift kits interchangeable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are 3rd & 4th gen suspension lift kits interchangeable?

Mikethe1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2006 Eddie Bauer
Hi,
I'm looking for 2.5" suspension lift kits, Rancho used to have those P/N's but discontinued them.
So I'm wondering if there other models I can search for available kits, and they will just fine with the 4th gen?
Someone even told try Disco 3 since they sharing very similar platforms.
Thanks,

Hi,
I'm looking for 2.5" suspension lift kits, Rancho used to have those P/N's but discontinued them.
So I'm wondering if there other models I can search for available kits, and they will just fine with the 4th gen?
Someone even told try Disco 3 since they sharing very similar platforms.
Thanks,
Welcome to the forum.
There are no lift ‘kits’ for the 3rd & 4th Gen Explorer. The only offering Rancho ever had is their ‘Quick-Lift’ strut line, which will give you about 1” to 1-1/2” of lift.

I’m not familiar with “Disco 3”, is that a non-USA SUV model?

If your looking for suspension lift, you’ll need to use strut spacers. Plenty of info on this site. If you go over 2” of lift keep an eye on your front upper ball joints as the increased angle of your upper control arms will accelerate their wear. I replaced the front upper and lower ball joints with grease-able Moog units. There are also aftermarket UCA’s that will address the upper ball joint angle for spacer lifts up to 3”.

Here’s my 3rd Gen, 2” Spacer lift, 3” Body Lift (link to body lift thread in my signature), & 265/75/16 (32” x 10.5”) mud terrains for about 6” of lift.

66E5A8A3-4E56-46FE-B9D0-3E14E4BA4192.jpeg

Back