Are there different options2014 Explorer Limited 3.5L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are there different options2014 Explorer Limited 3.5L

Lou Ndreu

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Hello I am the new owner of a Certified Pre Owned 2014 Explorer Limited me and the wife just bought it 3 weeks ago as we are expecting a 3rd member to our family in July so 3 rows are necessary. My question is after doing 2 months of research while searching for the perfect explorer I've noticed some sites only have one 3.5 option but then others show TVICT or SMPI or MPFI or flex fuel, so how many different options are there on the 3.5 in this year and also how would I know by my vin because all window stickers say 3.5L TVICT and the car fax doesn't say and I'm just really curious to know exactly what I have.

Hello I am the new owner of a Certified Pre Owned 2014 Explorer Limited me and the wife just bought it 3 weeks ago as we are expecting a 3rd member to our family in July so 3 rows are necessary. My question is after doing 2 months of research while searching for the perfect explorer I've noticed some sites only have one 3.5 option but then others show TVICT or SMPI or MPFI or flex fuel, so how many different options are there on the 3.5 in this year and also how would I know by my vin because all window stickers say 3.5L TVICT and the car fax doesn't say and I'm just really curious to know exactly what I have.
Welcome to the Forum Lou.:wave:
The Ford engine is a 3.5L DOHC Ti-VCT (Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing) engine. I'm not that knowledgeable about these engines but I believe it is the only 3.5L engine you can get in the 2014 Explorer. I have only seen a few Flex Fuel badges on an Explorer and I don't know what determines why some Explorers gets that distinction over others. SMPI and MPFI refer to the type of fuel injection system an engine uses.
If you have the VIN number you can check out the vehicle here; https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Peter

Thank you, I knew that those a different types f injection my point is how do you know what you have I looked at the link you posted thank you very much still trying to go more info on it so I will keep hunting.

You have the base 3.5L engine. It's been a while since I read the manual, but I think they are all flex fuel, and whether they get the flex fuel badge or not is determined by...who knows? I read my OM, and it says mine is flex fuel, but the flex fuel badge was deleted from mine according to ETIS.

Back