Auxillary Transmission Cooler

jamieD

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
I have searched the threads and need a couple of questions answered:
It looks like the aux cooler needs to be in line after it comes out of the radiator. I also read that if you mount it to the a/c condenser with those zip ties, it heats up the fluid more than it is cooled. If you don't mount it to the condenser, you want get much help when idling or moving slow, pulling air over the cooler. So, those of you with them mounted, what works best for you? I'd like to mount one close enough to the condenser to let the engine fan help. Should I mount it directly next to it or stand it off with some spacers maybe an inch or so? My F-150 has one as part of the tow package and it is about 3 inches off the condenser, and my extra cooler cooler is way out front with the ram air effect, but no help from the engine fan. Thoughts?

I have a 1st gen explorer and I had wondered about the same thing. I have not mounted my cooler yet but what I am planning on doing is adding a pusher fan to it and then mounting it away from then condenser. What I am trying to decide is if I want to keep the stock cooler or just replace it with the B and M stacked plate cooler I have that the fan is going on. It is a lot larger with a higher cooling capacity then the stock one and I would like to keep as much open air flow to the condenser as I can at the same time.

I just ended up mounting it directly to my radiator with the zip ties on my f150. I used some of that foam insulation that house pipes are wrapped with as insulation between the two coolers. I went to the bone yard and pulled a v8 cooler off an ex to put on my ex. Doing that was easy since the holes and mounting bracket were already present, it was a simple remove and replace job.

I wouldn't want it to be touching the condensor directly. The stock 1st gen cooler is mounted infront of the rad support. I doubled 2 stock coolers in series there and it gets adiquate air flow there from the fan

Back