Back tire rack

Explorer0693

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer XLT
Hey guys I'm looking into getting a back tire rack like jeeps have. I think it would look really cool! But I just don't know where to look to get one does anyone know where I could get one!!! Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thin pickings for Explorers

There are a couple of fabricated mounts on the web for explorers, but none specifically for the Gen 4 models.

You might consider modding a kit for another product; try this:
(dead links)

Just a heads up on removing the spare tire from under the vehicle and running without it there. I experimented with not having the spare under the car for a while (trying to see the effects of removing excess weight from the vehicle on fuel economy) and discovered that the tire helps disrupt the air coming out from under the rear of the car pushing it down and around the rear bumper. Without it there you end up with more drag/lift on the rear of the vehicle because the air catches the inside of the bumper and is especially noticeable at speeds over 40 MPH. The only way to make it work would be to use a strip of 8" aluminum roll roof flashing to fill the gap and make a secure transition between the two surfaces so the air cannot get trapped behind the bumper.

Try www.Tiregate.com. I am taking mines off though. But, they have some nice ones. Here is mines on my EX. (dead links)

Try www.Tiregate.com. I am taking mines off though. But, they have some nice ones. Here is mines on my EX.

What size tires are you running and what size it the tire on the rack? How much did that cost you and where does it hook up too? If your taking it off would you be interested in maybe sellin it?

Also what kind of rims are those and were did you get them? Were they decent price? I like them looks like they have a decent offset

The tire size is LT265/75/R16 (32"), rims are ProComp, The tire gate cost $750.00, it hooks up to your hitch if its a 2" opening. If it's not you may have to purchase one it will not hook upto the 1" or 3/4" that the original factory has.

Willing to sell.....

Sorry Explorer0693, someone is interested in the tire carrier and is purchasing from me. Just wanted to let you and anyone else who was interested know. Thank s for the interest, though....

Looks like it has hinges, and swings out when you open the cargo door????

Any pics showing how it looks when you have the rear door open?

Yes, it swings out open. I will post pics soon.

Tony, is that Ironman fender flares on a V6 or is it really an Ironman?

It is not an IRONMAN. I though made it look like one. I was one day at a Harley Davidson Motorcycle shop and while browsing i came across these hex screws that were perfect for the effect of fender flares and i drilled and installed them. Pretty neat huh?

The IRONMAN package includes bumpers and fender flares if purchasing them through the FORD dealer cost $3,000.00 so i said hell no! And created my own...

What's up with the hoods coop stuck to the side panel / window? Show a pic of that from the side.

I know what you mean about Ford dealers. Ever since the truck tan out of warranty I've never called them. Lol! Those hex bolts sure are cool. How much you spend on them? What are they called, I'll have to research them online. Thanks Tony.

Back