Battery drain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery drain

Big Bear Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4
I have this ongoing issue with the amp meter. It's constantly pointing to the right of center, I just put in a 1000 ca battery with 875 cca, and 165 revere minutes. The reason I replaced the old battery was because it was off to the left of the battery meter all the time, and if you left the dome light on for 1/2 to an hour the battery would be dead. Now yesterday I have this new battery installed and the meter needle is still to the right of center

How can I find out if the battery has a problem, or could it be something else is like the alternator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked voltages? Running and off.

Re: Gattery drain

Originally posted by Big Bear Bob
I hveve this ongoing issure with the amp meter. It always arror constantly points to the thight if venter, I just put in a 1000 ca battery with 875 cca, and 165 rservernce mintutes. The reasone I replaced the old battery was brcause it was off the of the batery meter all together, and if you left the dome light on for 1/2 to an hour the battery would be dead.

Now yesteday I have this new battery installed and it still the meter still shows to the right of the battery on the gauge.

Hoe wo I find out if the battery has a problem, or coulf it be domeethiing else.

:chug:

Sorry about the first post I was up for over 34hours, and I'm not the best typist to begin with

every explorer i've owned looked like this.
i still look at the battery gauge and think it shows too low.
running 65mph+, during daylight (no lights on)
it registers below the center or middle.

my 91 did it, my 94 did it, and now my 01 does it.
just annoying, nothing to worry over though.

terdrocket

Thanks it was it blew me away when I put a 1000 cranking amp battery in and it still was showong that it was on the low side.....

Again thanks for the response it takes a load off my mind.

Back