BATTERY EXPERTS, I need your wisdom! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BATTERY EXPERTS, I need your wisdom!

BHop

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL
Hi all,

This is in regards to my brother's relatively new truck he purchased over the summer, a 2005 Ford F350 XLT with Diesel Engine.

Over the summer, no problems or issues, everything is lovely.

Now, as the cold sets in, it has become harder and harder to turn the engine over.

Yesterday, I wasn't able to turn over the engine at all. I pulled both batteries, and brought them to my autoparts store.

They were tested and only had about half power/charge. I asked them to go ahead and recharge them. Today I picked up one of them, fully charged, but the other one is being stuborn and won't fully charge. The auto techs told me to come by tomorrow to see if it will charge.

With this being said, I have a number of questions, and since I am not well versed with automotive batteries in a diesel application, I was wonder if you guys can help.

Question 1

When I go to pick up this one battery, there is a chance that I will get the news that it might not fully charge. It may show some improvement, or it may fully charge.

If it won't, what should I do? Should I replace it? Should I get the Cranking Amps measured, and then move from there?

For Example:

Let say it will only charge 3/4s of the way... do you think it's a good idea to still use this battery?

Question 2

What should I do to prevent this from happening again? It's only going to get colder, do I have to keep recharging these batteries? Seems kinda weird...

Thanks you kindly,

PS these are decent sized batteries, probably 750 cold cranking amp rating, or in that neighborhood.

PPS, Should I bother checking fluid levels in them to make sure everything is on the up and up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know why it would make a difference if the battery is used for a diesel application or not. Also, I keep hearing that hot weather is worse for batteries than the cooler weather, yet a batteries strength is measured in CCA's -- cold cranking amps. I think, though, that CCA is cold start not necessarily winter, below-freezing weather. Also, 3/4's charge is still 75%, and over time, the batteries will gradually wear. No one wants to be stranded -- esp. in the cold, but only you can make that decision. I replaced a battery in July/August in our 07' Ford Edge that was the original Motorcraft (so only 4 years old). I was disappointed because we've had the OEM Motor-craft's last a lot longer, but I know that it was time. I had an oil change done in April, and the battery was showing a charge of about 84%. The family took a trip from Ohio to Myrtle Beach, N.C. in May, and the oil change at 3500 miles in July showed a charge of 54%. Prior to that, I know that the battery was leaky acid somewhat since it had been cleared off the terminals once. Either way, there was no telling how soon the battery would fail, but it was below my comfort zone. I didn't want my wife or two year old to be stranded somewhere, so I felt for $100 or so that it was well worth it -- esp. since my original Motorcraft in my 08' Ranger was tested last Dec. by the local Ford dealer and was deemed "Fine". Then, in Feb. (on Valentine's Day) I got out of work, did some running around, and was stranded in the parking lot of Wal-Mart because the battery wouldn't even turn over. Under warranty in the rain and wind, I wasn't going to attempt to fix it myself, so I called for roadside assistance for a jump. I then drove to Sears, and it was confirmed the battery couldn't be charged (wouldn't even show a charge), so I purchased a new battery and off I went. I'm guessing some serious loads with your vehicle or no need for the two batteries. It is surprising that both had to be charged, but if the one went, the other must have been working much harder. All I can say is what if the battery isn't the problem? How do you know it isn't the alternator draining the battery? Anyway, new batteries should be good to go, and to my knowledge are sealed. No need to check the water level. You may want to look into Optima batteries since some people swear by them.

If one battery is bad it's suggested to replace both at once. Even if one battery will only take a 3/4 charge, the 3/4 battery will pull power from the Full battery trying to recharge itself causing a drain on the good battery.

If you have to replace them, do both at the same time. Save yourself the headache.

Reference: I'm in auto school, got an A in Battery, Starting, and Charging systems.

Josh is right. And I didn't even go to school for that.

Update!

First of all, you guys are fricken awesome! I don't use this board very often, but when I do, good people (such as you guys) show up and share your expertise and advice! Thank you so much!

So..

Just picked up the other battery a little while ago; it's fully charged! So both batteries are fully charged. I will reinstall them soon.

About the alternator, I have no reason to believe it is faulty as it was behaving perfectly fine during the warmer months... does this logic seem reasonable?

For now, I am going to reinstall the batteries and just take it from there unless you guys have more wisdom to share.

ALSO;

I was thinking about purchasing this solar panel battery recharger. It's not a small dinky unit by any means. It's rated at 15W/1 amp max. It will fit on the dash no problem. It will would keep these batteries charged no fuss no muss.

Naturally, I won't make this purchase until I know where I stand with these batteries and how they behave now that they are fully charged.

Thoughts...

I

The solar panel is a good idea. I work at a walmart tire lube and see more batteries than i care to, if the battery wouldn't fully charge right away, chances are its on the backside of its lifespan. If i were you id put the money for the solar panel towards a quality battery (with the best warranty).

I wouldn't mess around with a solar panel to try and keep old batteries going; just replace the batteries. They're six years old, it's time for some new batteries before your brother ends up stranded somewhere and then will have to find someone to give him a jump. And as others have said, don't skimp out on the batteries, make sure to buy a pair of decent ones. From my experience, cheap batteries will likely last for 3-4 years, whereas quality batteries can last for 5-6+ (assuming they're treated properly).

Back