Battery light on, low gauge indicator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery light on, low gauge indicator

1996Z15

Reaction score
City, State
Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I know this issue has been discussed many times before, and I have used the search feature to research the issue but, I still haven't been able to find the answer.

A few days ago I was driving my 1997 SOHC V6 Explorer when I noticed the battery light was on. I had gone to Home Depot and left my phone charger on with my phone connected. I disconnected the charger and the light went out; coincidence I am sure.

Yesterday the light comes on again, this time I notice that the gauge is also reading very low. The battery light would go out if I was driving under acceleration but, the gauge needle doesn't move.

I did some research on this site and followed a few suggestions. I took out my meter and got a reading of 12.3 on the battery (engine not running). I started the vehicle and performed the same test on the battery, this time I got 11.6 with the engine running.
The next thing I did was I touched the stud with the heavier gauge wire coming from the alternator, with the red probe and touched the negative post on the battery (car running) and got an 11.36.

I cleaned the battery terminals and made sure the connections were tight and I made sure the connections on the alternator were tight.

In my research I saw reference to a "Mega Fuse" but, come to find that my 1997 Explorer is not equipped with such a fuse.

The alternator was installed last summer and is a rebuilt OEM unit; rebuilt by a local guy who has an impeccable reputation. The battery is an Interstate and is 2 years old (maybe).

Any thoughts on what might be the cause or what else I might try to diagnose the problem?

Your alternator appears to be bad. You should see 13-14 volts when the engine is running.

Your alternator appears to be bad. You should see 13-14 volts when the engine is running.

this, and also get you battery charged and tested as a bad battery can kill an alternator.

Turns out that it was the alternator. I took it back to the place I bought it and the owner put the unit on his tester (I left it with him for the entire day). He also took the alt apart and said he found lead shavings inside. He replaced the "fan" and a few other interior pieces (free of charge; he stood behind his work).
I reinstalled the alternator tonight and everything seems to be working fine; I will put my meter to it this weekend just to be certain.

Back