Bed divider, Holes in bed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bed divider, Holes in bed

MoonMagic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Super Trac
I have read on the forum that the small holes that are drilled in the floor of the bed at the cab end of the bed are for drainage. I have also read that the two larger holes in the floor at about the midway point are for mounting a bed divider.

Questions:

1. I don't see the reason for the drain holes? There are many places that can hold water in the bed floor due to the ridges and valleys, and the holes seem like a token gesture to me? Isn't it possible that they, along with the divider holes, may be letting moisture in and being counterproductive?

2. What exactly is the bed divider? What is it made of? Is it the full height of the bed?

I am thinking I will fill all of these holes with black silicone. Would that be a good or bad idea? I would appreciate hearing any opinions on this topic, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they are in fact for drainage, and the bed divider is pretty much a bar that goes in the middle of the bed to keep things from moving all the way forward to the window end. i dont think those two holes in the middle are for mounting the bar though, the two holes above the wheel wells are for mounting the divider i think. ive used little cut out strips of black heavy duty duck tape, and thats worked fine for me when ive have to load my bed up with sand, dirt and gravel.

The holes in the bed floor are for drainage and if you haul alot and need to wash out the bed they come in handy. They don't let moisture in or atleast enough to even worry about. They bed divider was a factory option, it's a flat panel that divides the front and back half of the bed.

1L2Z-99286A72-AADivider.jpg

As per Steve's picture, the larger holes in the center of the bed are for the "pins" in the bottom of the divider to keep it from swinging.

Back