Better transfer case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better transfer case?

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I've decided to keep my AWD since Boomin got nitrous and has traction problems (I plan to add nitrous too). I've seen some transfer cases rated up to 1500+ Ft/lbs of torque.

So, is there any way to reinforce the internals on the transfer case or swap the transfer case for one with a higher output rating? How much (cost)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i oinly have traction problems with no front driveshaft ;). In AWD its just a few chirps most of the time and im gone :)

I assume you're looking for an AWD t-case. Is the stock AWD really a problem? I've never heard anyone complain about it. Only thing I can think of is getting an AWD case from a full size (I think the expedition has an AWD option), but I don't know if anything would bolt up to the 4R70W.

Jefe said:
I assume you're looking for an AWD t-case. Is the stock AWD really a problem? I've never heard anyone complain about it.

No, it's not a problem YET. I don't want it to become one. I'm selling my Ecam for a bigger cam, supercharger swap in Feb-March (up to 13 PSI), and hooking up my Methanol injection when all this is done. Also a stroker whenever I **** the bottomend in the oil pan.

I don't know if the Expedition would be any better. Are their any weak points you can reinforce in the AWD TC?

bump for more information as mine is toast!

i ran a 9.301 at 74.4 mph yest ;)

It was my 12th run and she is now making MANY noises
I also had a crappy R/T too lol

now whats your best ?

This isn't going to be anything out there to beef up your t-case, as far as I know no company has ever made anything for borg warner t-cases. I don't know the feasability of it but I do know some older fullsizes did come with full time t-cases you may want to look into getting one of out an older truck. Older dodges came with an np203 which is full time 4wd, however they are a HEAVY transfercase, they're all cast iron but they are definantly strong. I doubt that t-case would bolt up to your truck but the np203 may have been available in a divorced setup. Though having a 302 you can probably find another transmission that will bolt up to your motor and that transfer case.
Though if you want my opinion :p you're just trying to fix a bigger problem with a bandaid. traction issues can be fixed with things like, spools, beefier leaf springs, traction bars, tires, etc. There aren't to many old school chevelles, fairlanes, etc running awd and they're pretty heavy vehicles.

do any of the new expeditions come AWD? What TC is in the newer explorer AWD setup? I might want to do a 4wd TC swap because i want to put a powertrax up front and I am pretty sure I can't run one of them with AWD. My truck had soem times where I had BAD torque steer and I want to hopefully prevent that with a powertrax. If I can't do anything else but replace the TC with the factory one I will. I am really kinda against 2wd.

Since you've got a V8, what bolts up are almost every transfercase that came behind a ford v8. It's a 31 spline input 6 hole bolt pattern. So if you want to keep the fulletime fourwheel drive, you can get an NP203, it's rediculously heavy and chain drive but at least you can have 4lo.

Back