• Register Today It's free!

Boot removal from 5 speed manual

knob

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT Sport & 97 XLT
After installing my rebuilt 5 speed transmission, I bought a used shifter with the rubber boot still attached from the junkyard hoping to reuse the boot that sits on top of the transmission and kills alot of the road noise that is present without it. The old shifter splines are worn off and I cannot see how to spearate the boot from the old shifter to install it on the shifter that is in my truck. Anybody have experience with these thick rubber boots? Thanks for any input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

unscrew it from the floor and pull it off.

Already done, after the shifter is out of the truck, there is no way to remove the boot from the shaft without tearing it. Looks like the whole thing was put in a hydraulic press and pressed together. Just wondering if there is a way to separate the boot from the shifter without tearing it?

soapy water and a screw driver like hand grips on a dirtbike? unless its glued then ur screwed...lol

Mine was stapled in.. there is no good way to remove it.

I bought a used boot(with bottom attached) for 3$ or so from the junk yard. The shifter ball should pull off(yea it takes some tugging) then slide the old boot off, and the new one back on.

Oh, and mine was from a BII, here is pics http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1041898&postcount=44

Back