Broke Rear toe link doing bearings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broke Rear toe link doing bearings

fordbluefamily

Reaction score
City, State
North Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mounty, 04 Mounty
BE CAREFULL when removing your rear knuckles to do wheel bearings. I broke the boot on the drivers side toe link. Dealer only part 131 bucks! Its nothing more than tie rod end crimped onto a two foot bar! Crap.

My truck is not a northern truck, not rusty at all, and seperating the ball joints from the knuckle was NOT easy at all. Had to drive a chisel over and over to seperate the gap to allow the ball joint, and toe link to seperate. To make things worse, the cheapest shop around here that would even touch pressing the old out and new in will run me 80 bucks. After all this, its not worth the money saved to me. Next time I wont be doing the rear bearings. Thats a job for the stealership.

*Edit* I found a 5 dollar tie rod boot at Napa that fits very snug over the post, then I cut the old boot off and worked the new one down with grease inside it tight and flush, cleaned off the sides and sealed it on with black RTV. Should last a while and save me the 131 bucks until another day. I will just keep an eye on it to make sure its sealed every oil change. ...Also saved me from a rear wheel alignment!

I'm glad you were able to get a boot from, I have gotten a tie rod boot from them before, the universal ones seem to work out pretty well.

Back