• Register Today It's free!

Broken door handle.

jelway3

Reaction score
City, State
baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer sport
I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping to get some help. My problem started with the power lock on the driver side door not working properly. It would unlock but it would take a little effort. The lock issue is still there but the immediate problem is that the handle on the driver side has now broken. It has not affected the workings of the door but ofcourse I can't open the door from the outside. I have the owners manual and have gotten as far as the book will take me. The panel is removed and so is the watershield??. I can see inside the door but not sure how to remove the handle. It looks like there is pop rivets that have to be drilled out. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very common problem (been there, done that). There are MANY threads on the subject on the site. Best bet is to do some research using one of the two search tools to scour the archives for the answers.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks I'm new to the forum world. I'll give that a try.

Thanks I'm new to the forum world. I'll give that a try.

The search tool on any forum is your friend. In this case, the site has been in existence for a long time and the archives are intact. Great resource.

You will find a lot of issues with the faulty door handles on 2nd generation Explorers like ours. Numeous door handle problems actually. I solved one with some zip ties, but now I'm suffering from another. We love our Explorers here, but they do have their quirks!

I used to have a '00 Sport. I loved it, but went 4 door when we started a family.

Back