• Register Today It's free!

Broken valve body bolt

1998rollover

Reaction score
City, State
Weiser, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer
While reinstalling the valve body yesterday in my 02 Sport Track, the head broke off the bolt that holds the shift detent spring.

YES I was using an inch-pound torque wrench set to the correct setting!
YES it was the correct bolt for that location. I kept the spring on it when I removed it.

The way it sheared off had the VB stuck so I put some of the other bolts back in then center punched and drilled the broken bolt to use an extractor with a tap wrench.

It resisted for a bit then came loose, or so it seemed. Broke off at the bottom of the hole I drilled but I was able to get the VB off.

Now I have a stub of bolt sticking out and it won't turn. Anything I clamp on it just shaves bits off the bolt.

You need to weld a nut onto what's left of the bolt. If you don't have the equipment for that, you need to take it to someone who does. Do not try to drill the bolt and use an extractor. If you break it off in there again you are going to be pulling the transmission and paying someone to EDM it out of there.

I'm just going to install the low miles transmission that's on its way from the eastern half of the country and put the new EPC solenoid and filter from the transmission in the truck on it.

While it's out I'll also replace the rear main seal, got the kit with a sleeve. Despite the engine being rebuilt with only 10 miles on it when I got the truck, it's apparently the seal leaking. It formerly belonged to a doctor and she let her son drive it, he ran it out of oil. She got the engine fixed then decided to sell it.

Back