• Register Today It's free!

brown wire mod on 04 awd mounty

JawzSS

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Mountaineer
ok not trying to beat a dead horse here so my apologies BUT I have read most of the posts AND searched but could not find a direct and simple answer. I have a 04 AWD mounty. All i need to know is this: will this brown wire mod work on an AWD mountaineer and make it 2wd with the flip of the switch?

thanks

Short answer- no. No transfer case, no brown wire, and therefore no brownwire mod. What you can do for a 2wd experience is remove your front driveshaft, but if I recall that comes with its own drawbacks and warnings.

What do you want the BWM for?

i dont really at all aside from the fact that i have an hour and a half commute to work every day and if it significantly helped gas mileage..thats the only reason for my interest... DEF not messing with the drive shafts though. Thanks for the clarification.

Ah, the hunt for mileage. That too has been beat to death here as well. You won't gain any MPG's with either the BWM or removing your driveshaft. Best you can do there is proper maintenance, keep your tires correctly inflated and go easy on the skinny pedal.

You could also track down Aldives thread on how he achieved 30 MPG with his second Gen and try a few of his tricks.

Back