• Register Today It's free!

Brown Wire Mod Switch Location

farmtruckman

Reaction score
City, State
ellensburg, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 xlt
I am considering doing the "Brown Wire Mod" on my 95 X per the instructions found in this forum as was wondering where everyone locates the switch? Any of you that have done this mod, if possible, please send a photo of your switch location along with what kind of switch you used and any comments on how the installation went.

Appreciate the help in advance.:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have mine mounted in the part of the console just below the HVAC controls. If you look at the third picture in this thread, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167165its the third picture down, in that blank flat area between the HVAC controls and the gallons to empty display. This is not my truck, but shows the area I am talking about. I used a large 50 amp metal toggle switch from autozone.

Dan

Right side of the dash bezel to the right of the radio and below the rear window defrost button. I put mine in the blank spot that the fog light switch is on some models. I used a simple lighted toggle switch.

Well the modification didn't go too bad for me, I first used a 3way toggle switch from the Marine Isle at Kmart I put it in the plastic that is connected underneath the seat but that broke so then got a heavy duty metal one from Advance auto, then after that broke I gave up on the toggle switch and I put a Cigg. lighter plug on the wires so when I want full-time 4X4 I just plug the plug in the lighter. I still have the 4Auto option this way too.

center console

attachment.php

01-13-08_1207.jpg

01-13-08_1206.jpg

small lighted 2 position switch from autozone. it's out of the way for normal use but when i need it on, i just reach my hand down in the area of the seat controls and turn it on. i accessed my wire in the bundle under the seat/carpet, and drilled a small hole in the plastic trim. the switch already had threads and a nut on it so it went right on and fastened easily.

I have a front locker and engaging the front axle on hard surface could have very expensive results. I don't want to ever accidentally turn it on while on pavement. An aircraft safety switch nicely takes care of preventing accidental engagement.

Attachments

• ModSwitchClosed.jpg
    ModSwitchClosed.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 903
  • Mod Switch.jpg
    Mod Switch.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 922

Mine is here... Big switch on the left.

Dan

Back