• Register Today It's free!

Building a 302

Ok, my pops and I started talkin about how many miles that were on my Explorer, just clicked over 129,000. It still runs pretty good, and doesn't burn any oil. But we got to talkin about building a new 302 to throw in there when this engine dies. I have never build an engine, he has built many. I would like to know what it would take to build an engine. I am looking for performance. I think i want to put in a bigger cam, some better intake and heads and what not. Like i said, i don't know much about engines and what gives them more power. Money IS an issue, but i want to make some power instead of this wussy 215 hp that the 302 has right now. If anyone knows where i could look at configurations of 302's that were built and make some power, that would be great. If not, then suggestions as to what i should do would be great. I have even thought of boring it 30 over to a 306, i dunno, that gets expensive.

How much HP are you looking to get?

With building your motor up you could get anywhere from 225 with intake to 800+ with a stroker, nos, and a blower.

I am not looking for an 800+ hp engine. No blower, no NOS, i just want some upgrades. Like i said, money is an issue, and i don't know a whole lot about engines. But it would be great to be in the 350-375 hp range. I don't even know if that is possible without a blower or sumthin. I could use some feedback on what makes an engine gain power. What should i do to the engine to get some ponies out of it. I would like to stay away from boring it out. I am not sure what a stroker kit is, so i don't know what is envolved in it. Could someone explain. How many ponies could i gain by getttin better intake, heads, cam, crank, etc. I am startin from scratch with my pops, and i just want some ideas as to what we should build.

Running a stock 5.0L with better intake manifold with a better air intake system, i.e. throttle body, air filter, mass air unit, along with a better exhaust system and computer chip should give you resonable power gains. If you go more than 300 HP then you start looking at lower reliability on everyhting.

Keep it simple, works better that way.

The '96 Explorer already comes with a GT-40 style intake. If you want more power from your truck, look at the small single exhaust and do something with that and a K&N wouldn't hurt either. After that heads and a cam would be your next area of improvement.

The biggest problem with the newer 5.0L Explorers is the computer and all of its emissions controls. This really makes the engine a dog. So look for a custom chip to make any reworking you do work properly.

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom