• Register Today It's free!

Building My Fiberglass Enclosure.

erixon

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Hey guys, haven't posted much around here, but I thought I would share my latest project with everyone. I have a 10" clarion sub/clarion apx320.2 amp, and I was really thinking of the idea of making my own custom sub box, as the one I have takes up so much cargo space, and I would have to haul it in and out when I gotta take my dogs with me somewhere. So I was playing around with ideas, looked at everyones set ups on here, and noticed there were a few people on here that had subs built into the side panel of the trunk area. While thinking about this, I kinda thought that there really wasn't enough space/volume for me, and I have decided to use that pocket, but extend out the box a bit to create more space, but still allow me to have usable cargo space (if that makes sense, sorry for the crappy wording)

So, I went about this by creating a "mold" out of dense foam, that would fit in the space allowing it to slide in freely with the maximum space I can use, after I made the mold, I covered everything in masking tape so teh foam wouldnt melt, then fiberglassed overtop.

After two layers (the first is cloth, the second is mat), I pried out my foam mold, and now have a shell. My next plan is to mask off/foil the panel on my Explorer, with the shell I made, and form it into one piece, and then doing, the mdf ring/felt process that people commonly use, to do the rest. Here are a few pics so far:

The mold to begin with:
103_1512.jpg

103_1513.jpg

The fiberglass shell with 2 layers in total (still have to peel away some of the masking tape):
103_1514.jpg

Just have a question... Would expanding foam in the panel be a good idea before I set this in? I just want to minimize any vibration or flex in the setup. Anyways, I'll keep my thread updated as I go along. PS- IF anyone wants a 10" clarion ported box lemme know, I won't be needing it after this.

Nice job on the custom enclosure. Be sure to build up the fiberglass enough so it's strong enough not to flex, especially if it's going to be a sealed enclosure.

You probably won't need anything inside the panel for vibrations. Most vibrations come from either the plastic panel itself, and sticking on some dynamat or similar weight-adding damping material helps. Just be sure the enclosure is solidly mounted to the metal of the body and not the plastic of the panel.

Old thread. Probably not.

Back