• Register Today It's free!

c-4 tranny behind a ohv 4.0

chevman90

Reaction score
City, State
dade city florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 xlt
any one ever put a c-4 tranny behind a ohv 4.0? im trying to find out my tranny options since my 5r55e is going out, any other trannys fit? its a '97. thank you

fyi: I've already read about the 700r4 swap on here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

C4 = 3speed, can you live with that?

Yes

Ford put the C3 or actually it was now a C5 behind the 2.8L in the early Ranger and BII
When they did this they gave you a bellhousing that bolts to the 60 degree V6, 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 4.0L OHV and 4.0L SOHC

So you can take a C5 bellhousing and tailhousing (4x4) and install the parts onto a C4, careful, the c5 needs some updates to take the power of the 4.0L

Or you can rebuild a C5 if you can find one with the guts from a C4, including all updates
Or you can go to Cullhane who is now producing an aftermarket 4.0L adapter for the C4
Or you can order a C4 built with the cullhane adapter

but the C4 is 3 speed, no overdrive
Also your 97 is going to need some changes, some work
Your 97 is used to controlling your auto trans, if you put a C4, 700r4 or any other trans in there (there are more adapter on the market these days for even fullsize trans) you are going to want to convert your 97's computer and gem to think its a 5 speed, a little bit of wiring

C4 can be built into a *****IN trans, from mild to wild, there are even OD kits for them... the reason I went V8 was because I couldnt justify a 6 hour drive to Moab in 3rd in a BII on 35's, and the $2500 it would take to get a reverse valve body updated C4 to my door with an Art Car shifter goes a long way towards a V8 conversion

C4 is a very popular trans in desert racing RBV, very common these days to use a hopped up SOHC 4.0L in front of a built C4, 5.13 gears, 37" tires and HANG ON

cool, thanks for your input. with the amount of work involved i think i may just replace the 5r55e. I do alot of highway in the truck, I didn't realize that the c4 was a 3 speed. thanks so much.

on that note: anyone in the tampa bay area (fl) have a good running 5r55e?

well what is wrong with your 5r55e that you say its on its way out? maybe there is a cheap fix for it.

agreed my son in law has a 97 sploder auto awd/4hi/4low

making horrible racket on the highway, we did the brown wire mod thanks to this site and now noises are gone (he has true 2wd now)
We bought him some time so he can save $$$ and collect parts for a 1354M conversion

His auto trans still slips a bit and has a shift flare from 2-3, but the AWD noises are GONE
has 180K miles on the truck

well, when i first put it in drive it won't go in with out high rpms then of course it slams into gear. it slips between gears a little on the high way but does go though all the gears except o/d. I lost o/d about a month ago. Its a 2wd tranny.

bottom line?: Its got 220,000 miles on it and I dont think its worth putting money into this tranny, I'd rather get another one. what do yall think?
i put a new engine in it last year that has about 15k now so i still want to keep the truck.

have you tryed adjusting the bands? there is a sticky at the top of this section on how to do it.

Back