Camper towing. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camper towing.

I have been towing a camper, 3400lbs unloaded vehicle weight, with a 2004 jeep grand cherokee (4L six ) for some time. I am looking at a 2012 explorer 4WD with towing package to replace the jeep. What can I expect regarding MPG when towing and is this vehicle appropriate for this type of towing. Some of my trips are over 1000 miles one way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2012 Explorer will likely have the same 5000 lbs rating as the 2011 Explorer.

Combined weight rating (GCVWR) is 10,125 lbs. Subtract the 4557 dry weight, and you are left with 5568 lbs for the loaded camper, and any people/cargo in the Explorer. Subtract the 3400 lbs empty camper, and you are left with 2168 lbs for any people/cargo in either vehicle. Keep going subtracting your known weights, and determine if you are OK.

You really should get an accurate loaded weight of the camper. Going by the unloaded/dry weight (3400) is not a great way to go, since that weight does not include any factory options (A/C, stove, etc), or dealer options (battery, LP tanks, etc), nor any of your gear/luggage.

For 1000 miles trips, I assume you will hit some decent hills. I would want some more cushion if that's the case, and not take things right to the limit.

As far as mileage, you are used to a straight-6 which was a good motor that didn't get great gas mileage IIRC. With the modern Explorer V6, you should probably expect much better gas mileage when NOT towing, and probably comparable gas mileage while towing, compared to your Jeep (or maybe worse?). But remember that towing is a small percentage of overall mileage. Maybe a little more for you, but still probably only 10%.

Get an actual weight on your trailer.

Thanks for the feedback brakeman. Based on your analysis and my experience, I don't think the explorer will pull my camper any better than the Jeep I now use. I have done a lot of towing in the mountians with this set up and spend a lot of time in second gear both up hill and down. I have to run the jeep with overdrive off even on flat ground which drops my MPG to 10. My thinking now is to look more toward an F-150 with a V-8 and tow package. I may not get better gas mileage but I will achieve a much better towing calpability. I did have the camper weighed on a trip to Richmond. The actual weight was 4278lbs. ( fresh water tank 3/4 full, black and gray water tanks empty. Although this weight is under the rated 5000lb capabiltiy of the Jeep, it is still a lot of weight.

Thanks again, Carolina

If you are looking at a Ford pickup, I'm hearing a lot of good things about the V6 Ecoboost (twin-turbo) powertrain. More torque than the 5.0L V8 for towing duty, equal gas mileage while towing, and much better gas mileage while NOT towing. IIRC, it's about an $800 option over the 5.0L V8.

If you can find an outgoing model, you might find a deal on a 5.4L model, if you really want the V8. 4.6L models, you might not appreciate. It works in my Mountaineer (smaller/lighter), but in a pickup, I'd want more.

Back