• Register Today It's free!

Can Anyone Help Me Pass Smog?

sandflea

Reaction score
City, State
Lemoore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Can't pass smog and never been here before. I really don't like being raked over the coals or dishing out a couple thousand bucks to some greedy ******* in the smog conspiricy. Just got this ride as a gift because the previous owner didn't want to go through the motions required by the state of California. I feel her :( The only problem is it has a high NoX reading. I ran a (KOEO) OBD Scan and it apperars the readings were 25, 22, 52, 21 and a series of single beeps and pauses evenly spaced to close. I don't beleive the readings of 25 and 52 pertain to this particular vehicle VIN 1FMCU22X2RUxxxxxx, but the 22 and 21 refer to Coolant Temp Out of Rrange and Manifold Absolute/Baro Pressure Sensor Out of Range which I am uncertain if this is even present with the 94 model. Could these readings simply be present because the engine was cold during the KOEO? Could they also affect the High Nitrous Oxide Levels being emmited during Smog Testing? :confused:

Hi Sandflea. Most of those codes are probably due to a cold engine, and certain procedures not being done during the test.

The code that stands out as a good one is the 22 - MAP sensor out of spec or not at normal vacuum levels. I'd check the vacuum hose going to the MAP, maybe it's cracked or loose.

Other than that, it may take a new catalytic converter to get the NOx down. NOx is related to high combustion temperatures, which in turn are caused by lean air/fuel ratios, but you don't show any lean codes.....?

Anyway, check out the MAP hose, might be all it takes.....

ROE

On second thought, I'm not sure if you have a MAP/BP sensor either. If you do, it'll be located on the firewall driver's side, and have an electrical connector and vacuum hose attached. (Can't imagine having a MAP code present without having the sensor.....???)

One other thing to check is the EGR vacuum hoses. (even though you don't have an EGR code). They tend to come off and crack. If you lose EGR operation, the NOx emissions will increase.....

What have you done to her as far as tune up wise? Clean the MAF? They have stuff you can run in your gas to help pass smog. Air filter clean? There are a bunch of little stuff you can change like the FPRC etc. Is the CEL on? Any other info you can give us? How does she idle etc??

Back