Can I Fab My Factory Rims? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I Fab My Factory Rims?

ok, i want to get 35" tires but i still want to keep my factory rims (16x7). does anyone make replica rims that would be wider (16x8, 16x10). i really like the factory ford design and i feel its a waste to buy new ones when i really dont want to.

i know this sounds really really not a good idea, but im curious why. can you cut the wheel and weld it an inch wider??

ok fine, so i have to break down and buy rims. i rather spend big bucks on some really cool ones but until then does anyone know of some really cheap rims (maybe even black or white) that i could get by with for now but are not too much of an eye-sore. ive seen rock crawler makes some real cheap black or white ones as low as $50.

should i get 15 or 16? i can see why 16 rims are more $ than 15 rims because of more metal, but why are 16 tires more $ than 15 tires??? isnt it LESS rubber??? what are safe backspacing and offsetting? with something like 35x12.5, should i get 8 width or 10?

I would strongly urge you not to start hacking up your wheels and welding them back together. No matter how strong the welds are, they would be significantly weakened. Also, what tire company would put tires on homemade widened rims? You can barely get them to put larger tires on the stock rims!

Just get some black AR rockcrawlers, I think they look pretty good for about $45 a piece.

I've saw someone who widened Impala stock wheels to 10 inches I think. I saw it somewhere on the net about 3 years ago. It's probably still around.

But, before you do anything with welding on or around your wheels... make sure yours tires are off! This sounds weird, but my cousin is a FF in San Francisco, and some dude was welding on his wheels and the tire and wheel exploded and took off a large chunk of his face. So keep it safe whatever you do.

How would you weld it an inch wider? You would need an inch of material in between the two halves, like an old rim cut up. It wouldn't be worth it.

Try Stockton Wheel will widen any wheel. They've been doing it for decades.

Back