can it tow it?

DarkFox1

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Augusta Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
Well I just recently tried auctioning a vehicle on ebay for the 1st time. It didn't sell via the bidding process, but immediatley after my auction ended, a guy contacted me out of texas that is 99% sure hes going to get it (hes concerned about title issues, should know by today or tomorrow for sure)

He's willing to put some money down on it and then pay the rest when he gets his bonus in early march, which, as you know is right around the corner.

I live in GA, as you know, and I have discussed towing the truck to mississippi where he can pick it up (1 way trip u-haul car carrier or something) but I am not sure as to whether or not we need to rent a truck to tow this as well.

This vehicle I'm selling is a 72 chevy shortbed sport side pickup, with a 6 cyl, it weighs anywhere from 3500-4300 pounds

My question is, as you can guess by the topic, can my mountaineer tow this vehicle by the bumper? I dont have a towing package, just my stock steel rear bumper, and if it can, would it be a strain on the truck to tow, and tow that far?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would get the tow hitch... check with uhual, they actually have requirements for allowing there dollies to tow things... i had to get one for my explorer after i rolled it.... good thing my buddy had a huge truck, they almost said the explorer was too big for the trailer--full sized tandem axled car transport trailer.....
but my buddies truck handled it no problem... we told them what his truck was, and htey were like, uh.. ok, pull it around so we can get it hooked up.... his trucks a dodge ram 3500 extended cab 4x4 dually turbodiesel with a 6 speed and 4.10s :)

I would not tow it by the bumper, but a frame mounted hitch can be bought around $100. That is what I would do. The X is capable of towing that load, with a good hitch.

as vk said, with a real hitch, the mounty is capable of towing it, but uhual may not allow your truck to tow something that weighs about the same as well as the trailer weight..... eventhough their trailers have brakes, they still may not allow a 4500 pound truck to tow a 6000 truck/trailer behind it......

Usually it's buyer pays shipping, right? Then get a UHaul truck to tow the car.

The X can do it with the V8, but from a frame mounted hitch.

On second thought, you have so many problems with your mounty as it is, I wouldn't do it.

Get your money in certified funds in FULL before leaving your yard.

well ya the buyers handling the shipping fees, I haven't looked ito this myself, but I saw an ebay auction for a full size truck, and they had pre-bid shipping prices.. it said from houston to atlanta was $500, so so I imagine it wouldn't be much morethan that.

I was thinking of calling budget or someone like that that has a full size truck with a towing package we could rent. Thats a long trip to make in a junky U-haul truck.

ya I didn't think it would be a good idea, but my dads all gung ho "yea it'll make it just fine, my truck tows more than that from its bumper" yea but his truck is an 86 and the bumper is probablly attached to the truck differently than mine..

anyone know of a shipping company for vehicles that I could contact? I think that'd be a lot easier it sounds like.

Thanks for the insight btw

yes aldive, he said he was willing to make a downpyamnet now, and then pay the rest before either of us leave our houses. so I think hes good on that, no scams or anythin

check the local phone book for auto transport

Back