• Register Today It's free!

Canoe on cargo basket?

Jester966

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT V8
I'm trying to figure out a good cargo solution for camping (etc.). The problem is that I have a family of four and need room for my german shepherd dog in the back. I can't put too much crap on the roof, as I will also be bringing a canoe on many trips. I was thinking that I would like to figure out a good way to store stuff securely in the canoe itself, but then I thought about putting the canoe on top of a cargo/safari basket. Has this been done before?

I am looking at this one: http://www.discountramps.com/roof-cargo-basket.htm
I think it will work well because the front and back bars are lower than the sides, so the canoe will be "cradled" in the middle and hopefully won't sit too high.

Does anyone have any comments on this? Will the canoe be too high? The basket is rated to 150lbs, but will my factory bars be strong enough to support everything?

Also, does anyone have any experiance with that particular basket? And does anyone know where I could order it from within Canada?

Thanks a lot!

roof-cargo-basket-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Canoe on top and everything else in here. http://www.stowaway2.com/ My Mom has one of these and it works great. Slips into the hitch and has a hinge so you can pivot it away from the tailgate so you can get into the cargo area. It is gasketed so everything will stay dry and it is also lockable. Plug it in and you now have lights on it.

if those ideas don't work . . .
I have a 100lb Lab too, big boy. .
Third row i put the coolers and some stuff,
I have a roof cargo box handles the cloths,
12ft Boat sits on a little trailer which hauls the camping gear, tents, sleeping bags, pads, cooking, chairs, fishing gear. My suggestion, what about a canoe trailer but the gear in it?
on page 8 here is a pic of it,
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176963&page=8&highlight=camping

Good for 5 days of camping.

Just a general question but is that roof rack really necessary to put a canoe up there?

Just a general question but is that roof rack really necessary to put a canoe up there?

Of course not, the idea was to be able to store additional gear in it, underneath the canoe. Right now I just load the canoe on the factory cross bars.

Wise guy - I thought those, but decided against it because most of them are in the way of the back hatch, and the hinged systems are way too expensive.

Anyway I went ahead and ordered the basket today. I think I may be able to mount it lower so that the canoe actually sits at the same height as it does now (on the factory cross bars). If it doesn't work out, at least I'll have a cool looking cargo basket for the trips when I don't bring the canoe!

Wise guy - I thought those, but decided against it because most of them are in the way of the back hatch, and the hinged systems are way too expensive.

Definately can't disagree with you on the price. But the convience factor is huge. As is the dry factor.

Back