Car Tires & Ride Quality | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Car Tires & Ride Quality

I have a 99 Mounty V8. It is loaded with nearly every option looks good runs great. I love it. But I hate the choppy ride. It has nearly new Michelin LTX M/S they were on it when I bought it several months ago. Also recently changed the 60K factory shocks to Monroe Sensatracs. That helped some with the ride. My question is if I were to trade them in on a set of Michelin X passenger car tires or similar tires would the softer tires improve the ride enough to warrant the cost factor. I drive mainly highway and around town, no offroading. I have owned three Ford Rangers. two extended cabs and a regular cab and I think they rode better than this Mountaineer.

Try some Michelin Cross-Terrains. They ride very smooth. You do have to remember that you have a 4500-5000lb. vehicle that is built on a truck chassis so you can't expect a car like ride.

The LTX M/S's are very soft as well. You have about the best light truck tire on your vehicle right now - they're expensive too.

-Drew

this might be a somewhat dangerous thing to do, make sure you know the load rating for the tires you are buying.. as well this may make your overall towing & carrying capacity less, as any "car" tire might have less load rating.. I would look more towards the tires they put on passenger/cargo vans.. just a thought though.

They do sell LT tires that have non aggressive patterns, most any shop will roll a tire out to show you the tread pattern, but places like tirerack.com have user ratings, so the web is just as good!!

Back