Carpet padding soaked! Where to get new stuff. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carpet padding soaked! Where to get new stuff.

beavis195

Reaction score
City, State
Sammamish, WA and Provo, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4 door
I just found a huge leak. Where the brake booster line runs down through the firewall, I have about 10 wires running through that grommet. I put silicone on it to seal it up. But I guess that the wires shifted and the silicon came off. My car started to smell weird. I pulled the carpet and the carpet padding is soaked! I've noticed it's a lot louder inside and I was feeling vibrations from the tranny ever since it got wet. Is the stuff at the fabric store the same thing. Or do I have to go to Ford and buy the exact same stuff? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get the same stuff from a carpet/tile distributor.

Thanks

I went to Home Depot and bought cheap carpet padding for $5 - did the entire truck

J

Originally posted by FMExplorer
I went to Home Depot and bought cheap carpet padding for $5 - did the entire truck

J
did it make it any quieter inside?
Thanks

No - it's not any quieter - but I bought the cheapest pad out there. If you want real quiet, spray rubber undercoating on the floor, let it dry for a day or so then use the best pad you can get your hands on. I went cheap cuz I tend to get the truck wet ;)

J

Back