Catalytic Converter Rattle Sound

vanionBB

Reaction score
City, State
Kennewick, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1996 XLT
Hello Again!

It seems like every time I have a problem I come here.

When I first got my Explorer I changed out the O2 sensors, the X has over 200,000 miles on it and the CEL was dropping O2 codes and Cat codes. The O2 codes went away, but the Cat code never did go away.

(before you ask, yes I did reset the computer every time I changed anything)

Over the summer my Explorer Transmission had problems and I had to pull and replace the torque converter and flex plate.

In the process I pulled off the Catalytic Converter(s) and noticed it rattles when I shake it. I took notice but still reinstalled the old Cats. Well its been a few months....

The engine is running fine, I don't smell anything from the cats, but I still have the bad cat code, and I live in the middle of nowhere, so Emissions is not an issue. What should be my course of action?

I would like to replace my Cats but if they arent really causing any problems except for the CEL then maybe I can do something else?

I was thinking maybe a performance chip might shut off the rear O2 sensor and ignore the error from the cats... I dont know where to start looking though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what trips the cat codes, but I have an old VW that I have since retired, but the cat had been rattling for 5+ years, it ran fine, and passed emissions with flying colors every year, despite several attempts by the muffler guy giving me another free replacement muffler, trying to tell me I needed a cat.

Has nothing to do with Explorers, but I thought I'd share it. ;)

Old thread I know but the heatshield seems tight on my driver's front cat, and that's where I hear this annoying rattling.. I did hit it a few times awhile ago and it stopped but then it started it again... Hitting it won't make it go away, along with holding the shield under pressure with a pipe. I've read online at other forums and generic resources the material in the cat can break apart and cause rattling? Is that a possibility for our application? All I seem to find is heat shield issues but I can't 100% verify it's that. But it is the cat itself. Idk.. I can't seem to see a way to rip them off either.. and all the pinched spots and welds are tight. (Prod Date: 10/97) Model year is 98, V8.

My rear passenger cat rattles. I can hit it with a hammer and it stops for a few minutes. Since we can here, I'm going to have the 2 rear cats taken off and piped through. Still legal since the front cats are still meowing.

Back