CD6 radio problems, Cobrajeff or anyone HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CD6 radio problems, Cobrajeff or anyone HELP!!

Sportster

Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Anybody who has experienced problems with their CD6 radios post here with their issues.

I have the Audiophile in-dash CD6 CD changer radio. It seems to be putting radial scratching on the disks I put in it around the outer edge of the disk as well as some intermittent radial scratches in the media area of the disks. It also skips a lot! Even when the vehicle isn't moving. It especially skips when I used copied cds. But I have only tried one brand of CDR so I don’t know if it’s a CDR issue or not.

I bought the unit used and had it shipped to me. It was not put into the "parked" mode when it was shipped or had the small shipping lock tab installed on the top of the changer portion of the radio. It was packed extremely well and the box wasn't beat up in any way so it doesn't appear to have gone through rough handling. I of course don't know if there was damage done in shipping or not.

The radio works great though!! Ha Ha... to bad it seems to have issues with playing CD’s :(

There was a web site I ran across that says they repair "the known problems" with these radios but they won't say what the "known problems" are supposed to be. Go figure...

Anybody with any knowledge on this please post it here!!!:) :) :) :)

We are receiving a number of complaints on CDX6 radios with regard to home-made CD's. The label material used on home-made CD's is different than what is used in production processes (store-bought CD's). In some cases, the labels from home-made CD's come loose from the disc, causing the mechanism to jamb.

My advice for now is to refrain from playing your home-made CD's in your CDX6 radio (I know you didn't want to hear that) or use permanent markers instead of add-on labels to ID your discs.

Regards,

Jeff

Actually the CDR discs I've used in it have no paper/plastic label, not even ink markings (i was to lazy to label them at the time, heh). I just heard back from a local repair shop saying there are at least three different service bulletins on the CDX6 units. I'll cut and paste his comments below. If anyone knows can you elaborate on what these are? I also read on this forum that if handled to rough the trays can get jammed up and you can't load/eject disks. The fix is opening it up and repositioning the trays so they are free again.

---repair shop comments----
If mechanism can be repaired usually it needs trays to be replaced. Also some times it needs optic ass'y. There are at least 3 service bulletins regarding these units.
---repair shop comments----

Back