Chain Tensioner Questions

Racer10

Reaction score
City, State
russellville, ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport 4x4
1998 4x4 Explorer, SOHC

It's had the o-rings recall done years ago. It appears to have the newer (longer) style tensioner in it.

Has been doing a bit of rattling for years, always went away after oil pressure came up.

Recently, the rattling became more pronounced, and doesn't quit after the oil pressure comes up.

The noise appears to be coming from the area where the tensioner screws into the side of the head.

Is it possible for the new style tensioner to fail / wear out after a few years ? I don't know exactly when that o-ring was done but I would guess 5/6 years ago, and I'm *assuming* that the tensioner was done at the same time as it appears to be they new style.

I have gone ahead and purchased the o-ring / tensioner kit for $46.00 and am planning on replacing the tensioner, but should I be looking for anything else while I'm in there ?

I got the front cover bolts off to have a look at the jackshaft guide / tensioners but it appears you can't pull the cover completely off without taking the crankshaft damper / pulley off, which appears to be a real pain in the a$$ itself.

The cover is loose enough that I can see down in there and can tell both the jackshaft guide and tensioner are where they should be and not broken, so I'm thinking of just putting the d4mn thing back together as is without taking that front cover all the way off.

Just looking for experienced thoughts on the matter. I need to get this project wrapped up as racing season is coming and I have more exciting things to be working on :)

Thanks !

DLD

I think I've changed my mind and decided it would be pretty stupid to have come as far as I did (nearly removing front cover) and not go ahead and change the jackshaft tensioner and guide.

Now, question is, *surely* you don't need that tool kit I see talked about just to change the tensioner and guide, do you ?

Thanks for your replies,

DLD

Back