Changing front wheel bearings

shamal

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4x4 Explorer Stock
Hey guys: I'm doing a brake job ( 93 4x4) and I'm thinking I need to change the front bearings instead of repacking. Found some brown overheating on the spindle and inside the bearing on one side, and have some small lines on the rollers, on all 4. Do I need to change the cones in the rotors as well?
thanks,
shamal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about "cones in the rotor"???

But if you have it apart I would check/change the spindle needle bearings.

Sorry posi. I meant the cups ! I'm going to do them anyway. Am going to do the whole ball joint and U-joint replacement this spring, and will do thoses needle bearings then. I take it I have to remove the whole spindle assembly to do them. This job is to replace the autos with manuals and do the brakes.
Thanks for replying,
shamal

If you are not replacing the brake rotors, then YES you need to remove the Bearing Race out of the disc, and replace them if the bearings show any wear.

If you don't replace the bearing race from the disc, you will just transfer the damage to the new bearings.

I just did my wheel bearings yesterday.

They are p/n (C)BR37. 2 needed per side. 4 per vehicle.

Ryan

Sorry posi. I meant the cups ! I'm going to do them anyway. Am going to do the whole ball joint and U-joint replacement this spring, and will do thoses needle bearings then. I take it I have to remove the whole spindle assembly to do them. This job is to replace the autos with manuals and do the brakes.
Thanks for replying,
shamal

Yes you have to remove the spindle to put the new bearings in. :thumbsup:

To do front wheel bearings on a 1st gen you merely have to remove the rotor. You shuold replace bearing races if you are replacing bearings. New rotors usually come with new races already installed.

This thread may be of some assistance:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122696

That thread is of a brake hjob, but it involved a new rotor with new races and re-using old bearings. If you had new you could just substitute them (assuming you were replacing the rotor at the same time - if not you would need to pound out the old races and install new. Ideally a bearing race installer that supported the race during installation is preferable.... another good reason to just go ahead and buy a new rotor with new races installed)

Yes, do the RACES (Cones) as well.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts. I read Glacier's excellent article to do the job , it was exactly what I needed ! They called me today to tell me the rotors were a thou under, so had no turning room unless I wanted to push it. So I bought the new rotors with races in them, as Glacier notes.
I'm going to do all the ball joints, shaft u-joints, spindle bearing etc, in one go when the weather warms up, and I'll photo the whole thing for everybody and do a write up. It will be a follow up to Glacier's article with a little more detail around that spindle bearing that is confusing some of the readers. And of course I'll be using my handy dandy Harbour Tool ball joint remover ! Thanks Glacier!!
regards,
shamal

I found this site, during last summer, when i did the same job, and had the same problems... It you want to know anything else about those brakes back or front hit me up,, its still fresh in my mind..lol

Yes replace the bearings if they show any amount of wear. It will be worth it. Im not a big fan of repacking bearings. I allways replaced them when i run across them in any jobs i do. Unless i know for sure they are within a year old.

Careful with the half moon clips, some first Gen had plastic ones on them. I would replace them with the steel ones. I went looking for them, and they do not sell them seperately,, They will try to sell you the whole hub assembly. Go to a junk yard like i did and pull them off and pay 40 cents like i did.. lol..

The new brakes work great ! Thanks to everyone for the posts. It was straight forward and easy to do, with the help of Glacier's thread, referred to above.
I'm thinking I would replace the bearings every time I do a front brake job, the amount of wear and tear on these small units is pretty high !
For the next time ...
Has anyone ever put a set of races in ? Is there a special press tool? Can I do it using my drill press ??
I changed to manual front hubs on this job, so no more fooling with the auto pieces.
Now for the back axle swap to discs !!! Take some pressure off those fronts.

I found this site, during last summer, when i did the same job, and had the same problems... It you want to know anything else about those brakes back or front hit me up,, its still fresh in my mind..lol

Yes replace the bearings if they show any amount of wear. It will be worth it. Im not a big fan of repacking bearings. I allways replaced them when i run across them in any jobs i do. Unless i know for sure they are within a year old.

Careful with the half moon clips, some first Gen had plastic ones on them. I would replace them with the steel ones. I went looking for them, and they do not sell them seperately,, They will try to sell you the whole hub assembly. Go to a junk yard like i did and pull them off and pay 40 cents like i did.. lol..
______
Although a 4WD is a little harder to do, I regulary clean and repack the wheel bearings on all of my vehicles. They will last for years and years when regularly packing them.
It was easy to test the wheel bearings years ago when vehicles had real bumpers. All you did was jack up the vehicle and spin the wheels by hand. If you have a bad wheel bearing you will feel it on the bumper with one hand on the bumper while the other hand spins the tire. You will feel the rumble from a bad or starting to go bad wheel bearing.

To do front wheel bearings on a 1st gen you merely have to remove the rotor. You shuold replace bearing races if you are replacing bearings. New rotors usually come with new races already installed.

This thread may be of some assistance:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122696

That thread is of a brake hjob, but it involved a new rotor with new races and re-using old bearings. If you had new you could just substitute them (assuming you were replacing the rotor at the same time - if not you would need to pound out the old races and install new. Ideally a bearing race installer that supported the race during installation is preferable.... another good reason to just go ahead and buy a new rotor with new races installed)[/QUOTE
_______
While a bearing race installer is great I have always just used the old race to pound on when installing the new bearing. Then just flip it over and tap the old bearing out.

A brass rod works well too so that you don't mess the race up.

Back