• Register Today It's free!

Changing Shocks - How to...

pugsy

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)
In need of shocks on all 4 corners. The back end seems to not bounce too much but the shocks are pretty much rusted through. The front bounces pretty good over bumbs. Looks like the original shocks (235K KM's). Ride height seems okay and the stance doesn't look saggy, so I'm leaving the coils springs and leaf springs alone. It's all stock.
Is changing the shocks a job I can do in the driveway with a ratchet set (some WD40 haha) and a jack?
What's involved in changing them? Problem points, what to watch out for, etc.
Thanks for the help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, easy do it yourself. You will need lots of WD40 or any other penetrating oil. I've heard great things about PB Blaster and it did great on my body bolts. The bottom bolts on my rear shocks were the worst. I ended up breaking the bolts, hammering out the pieces, and replacing them.

Yep pb blaster is necter of the rust gods. I did mine recently and it was trully a god send. I didnt however manage to break any bolts which was one of my biggest fears. Of course living in the mostly sunny south does help keep rust down a bit.

Okay, so since I live in the great white north, I'll anticipate that I'll break a bolt on the front and/or rear. What do I need if one breaks, tools, parts, etc. Cause if I start then break one, I'll be stuck in the driveway, unable to drive to the parts store.
Also, when changing them, do they just unbolt off and put back on? Or are the under tension - ie, so I need to support the axel or anything like that?

I don't know what size bolts to tell you. The rear has 2 small ones per side up top, one big one at the bottom. The front has a stud and nut at bottom, and the top of the shock is threaded. If you're worried about breaking bolts, look at them before you start taking apart. My truck came from the beach, that's why it was rusty.

The shocks will be under some tension, but stock shocks you can compress easily.

pugsy said:
when changing them, do they just unbolt off and put back on? Or are the under tension - ie, so I need to support the axel or anything like that?
I've changed all of mine without using a jack. Hardest part is reachin past the tires. The shocks are not under tension they just dampen the vibration between the ground and the vehicle.

I just replaced all four of mine 3 weeks ago. No problems breaking them loose. Pretty amazing as this is the first time they've been done and had 260k miles on them.
For my shocks, the front came with all new nutz / bolts. The back came with new ones for the top, but had to reuse the old ones on the bottom. Little helpful hint, drop the spare tire when you change the back. It will give you more room to work!

If you jack up the vehicle, use jack stands!

heres a hint, if yours looks like mine after you did it wrong.
47s7d3b.jpg

props to ld50 on the idea on how to fix it.

You may break the front lower shock mount bolts. If so do a search here there's a NAPA shock mount kit you can buy to replace the frount mount. Or you can drill out the hole & use bolts. That's what I did. There's a few threads on this subject search around & get all the info.

Back